Refunding money on payments,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all:

There have only been a few times when people have not followed through with their purchases of our horses. Here are our experiences.

One instance a family was purchasing a colt from us for their daughter, but a few months later we were informed their daughter had passed away. What can you say about that...we completely returned all their money along with a card with our condolences. Next was when someone was interested in purchasing a mare and colt out of state. The buyers paid for them in full, but the problem was we were unable to deliver the horses immediately since we were in the middle of foaling season, they weren’t able to come out to get them, and they didn't want to pay for a transport company to deliver them. The buyers weren’t willing to wait several months when foaling season would be over for us, so we were at an impasse. We again returned their monies. The third instance was when a woman wanted to purchase a filly and put a $100 down payment to hold her and later decided not to purchase her. In that case we kept the deposit, but will be put toward a farm credit when or if she decides to make a purchase.

Dawn
saludando.gif

Do what YOU feel is the RIGHT thing to do for YOU..............

Well it sounds like you have already made your decision, but here's my story. I had a contract with a lady and the contract stated that all monies paid were the farms, there would be no refund. She paid the deposit and was planning on coming to pick the horse up, she never made it then claimed she had a car accident and broke her back and extensive therapy was going to be done. Although I was truly sorry for her, and had contemplated giving the money back, the very next day, I had found out that it was all untrue and she was riding the day after the "supposedly" tragic accident. Needless to say, I have nevery sold a horse on payments again due to this one incident.
sad.gif

I totally think that keeping the $250 deposit .....And returning the Payments....IS MORE THAN FAIR!!!!!!BUT it is up to you, I feel a deposit is non-refundable even if it doesn't state it. UNLESS the horse passes away or has some other health problem arise that is not correctable.

[SIZE=14pt]Carolyn,[/SIZE]

Been there, done that many times! I would keep the deposit and charge them board for the time you have kept the horse for them and refund the rest! Figture out a reasonalbe per day charge and go from there! You have taken care of this horse for them and now they are the ones backing out! I've had this happen several times over the years!

Example- $5.00 per day x 60 day = $300.00
yes.gif

Bill

Latest posts

Back