red bag video??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a big foal!!!

But I smiled the hole time she was being born...

Thanks now question I have is some of the videos I watch they waited for awhile before doing anything. when do you start to deliver the foal? Do you have to wait til the red bag is out some what? wait til you see feet?

Thanks now question I have is some of the videos I watch they waited for awhile before doing anything. when do you start to deliver the foal? Do you have to wait til the red bag is out some what? wait til you see feet?

You won't see feet. All you'll see is the placenta. I haven't had a red bag (knock on wood), but if you see a mare pushing and not much happening it may be a red bag. You will see it if you take a look inside and/or it will bulge out of the vagina. But if you can see it before it bulges out, tear it open.

The first video that Matt linked to was not a Red Bag, unless I missed something. It was a normal delivery with the white sack and perhaps needed a little assistance.

The second post with a video showed the RED coming out and very quickly someone had scissors cutting that red fleshy thing beginning to protrude. THAT is the placenta coming out first. The white "bubble" immediately around the foal is normal and is what I saw in the one Matt showed.

When the RED shows and not the white it means IMMEDIATE action -- NO VET can help unless he or she is right there in the stall with you. Having scissors or a knife in the foaling kit is essential.......Pull some of the red "flesh" AWAY from the foal and cut. Then the foaling midwife needs to reach in and help pull the foal -- working in momentum with mare as she pushes.

The quicker the foal's head is free and the "midwife" can squeeze liquid from its nostrils the better.

Once the foal is out the placenta follows, so someone is going to have to break the ubilical as quickly as possible because it is a pathway for infection. Some tie it off and cut. Others use a more "natural" method by taking advantage of the thin spot along the cord. Either way gentle iodine or nolvasan has to immediately applied once the break is done.

Sorry......Probably TMI..... But I remember several years ago someone else posted info about how to deal with this. I read it and within a few days we experienced our first Red Bag. I remembered and we had a successful Red Bag Birth! It was awesome.

There is a wonderful video that was posted last year by a family... it was wonderful and explained the whole process.

I watched it over and over last year and I am very glad because we had a PARTIAL red bag... and I remained calm and knew just what to do.

I have video of our delivery last year and tried to put it up on you tube but it is too long, so I have to break it up in sections. A partial red bag is harder to tell... but in the video... I hear myself saying when the water broke that the liquid that came out was a little darker/redder than I wanted to see... not even thinking it was a problem.

I will let you know when I get that up.

Otherwise... if someone can post that video from last year it would be great. I just remember there was a lot of praying going on :O)

I found it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avugTkuk7c8

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a video I just found...not the one I wanted but this is a full red bag.

THANK YOU!! excellent video. I was crying. It showed what I would need to know. Already informated hubby he might have to be there to help just in case of any problems. Is there anything about the video that one would do different or add? thanks again. I so appricate it. any videos on turning a foal
default_smile.png

The first video that Matt linked to was not a Red Bag, unless I missed something. It was a normal delivery with the white sack and perhaps needed a little assistance.

The second post with a video showed the RED coming out and very quickly someone had scissors cutting that red fleshy thing beginning to protrude. THAT is the placenta coming out first. The white "bubble" immediately around the foal is normal and is what I saw in the one Matt showed.

When the RED shows and not the white it means IMMEDIATE action -- NO VET can help unless he or she is right there in the stall with you. Having scissors or a knife in the foaling kit is essential.......Pull some of the red "flesh" AWAY from the foal and cut. Then the foaling midwife needs to reach in and help pull the foal -- working in momentum with mare as she pushes.

The quicker the foal's head is free and the "midwife" can squeeze liquid from its nostrils the better.

Once the foal is out the placenta follows, so someone is going to have to break the ubilical as quickly as possible because it is a pathway for infection. Some tie it off and cut. Others use a more "natural" method by taking advantage of the thin spot along the cord. Either way gentle iodine or nolvasan has to immediately applied once the break is done.

Sorry......Probably TMI..... But I remember several years ago someone else posted info about how to deal with this. I read it and within a few days we experienced our first Red Bag. I remembered and we had a successful Red Bag Birth! It was awesome.
NO NOT TMI!! Its great info and much needed as I never had a red bag and want all the info i can get.

I agree with Mindy lee if you are into breeding it can't be tmi the more the better we learn! thank you!!

I was watching the first video and was thinking that's not a red bag! Although no knowledge is wasted IMHO.

Thank you Maryann & Julie for posting a 'red bag foaling'. Those are educational and informative.

I posted Pat Elder's article (with permission) on our blog about how to deliver a red bag foal.

Yes, it was a RedBag, Maryann. She went in and broke the placenta before it presented at the entrance of the vagina, so you couldn't see it. She broke it and released the water contained within the placenta. That's why, when she's pulling the foal out it is still inside of the sac (that sac hasn't been broken yet). If you can break a "red bag" before you see it it's much better (ie. peek in). If your mare is pushing and pushing and you don't see a white bubble, have a look. If it's red, break it. You don't, actually, want to wait to see the red bag.

That vid of the poor mare pushing and her "bag" coming out is horrific. The poor mare
default_no.gif
Hear how much effort she's putting in to trying to deliver the placenta that's around the fetus? Instead of just standing there filming, that person should have been assisting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a partial red bag.

and wasn't sure what to do so treated it as a red bag. When I checked with the vet it was the right thing to do.

What I saw was the white bubble with the red velvet on the bottom, coming out with the white. so was part red and part white. Not a whole lot of red... but my vet's comment was anytime the placenta arrives before the foal, the foal's oxygen supply is compromised and a quick delivery is essential since we don't know how long that placenta was loosened. My filly was delivered healthy.

Another handy tip, if you check position of the foal when the mare first goes down (I always check for correct presentation, because the earlier you can catch a dystocia the better), if your glove/fingers come out with red on them, you have a red bag. It's better to break the placenta open before it appears at the vulva, the fluid inside the placenta is what helps to lubricate the birth canal for delivery.

I made up this rhyme: If it's red-fast or dead, if it's white-it's all right. Corny yes, but it helps me to remember to deliver a red bag quickly (with mares contractions).

And as Julie said you can have the placenta detatching prematurely, so it's not a true red bag, but the placenta is being delivered with the foal and the foal is losing oxygen. I had one of those here too.

The video that miniv posted of the full size mare trying to deliver has made me so angry I need a soap box
default_1857272.gif
These people should not be breeding horses or anything for that matter. It is obvious that the foal has a hoof stuck in the rectal region and with every contraction all that is expeled is fluid. Why didn't they step in and help, I can only assume that they didn't know any better, and failed to educate themselves. To stand there and film hopeing for a precious foal and to watch the mare in such pain is horrable to watch. Then to post on the internet, I would be feeling so quilty and stupid, why did they post this?

Yes, it was a RedBag, Maryann. She went in and broke the placenta before it presented at the entrance of the vagina, so you couldn't see it. She broke it and released the water contained within the placenta. That's why, when she's pulling the foal out it is still inside of the sac (that sac hasn't been broken yet). If you can break a "red bag" before you see it it's much better (ie. peek in). If your mare is pushing and pushing and you don't see a white bubble, have a look. If it's red, break it. You don't, actually, want to wait to see the red bag.

That vid of the poor mare pushing and her "bag" coming out is horrific. The poor mare
default_no.gif
Hear how much effort she's putting in to trying to deliver the placenta that's around the fetus? Instead of just standing there filming, that person should have been assisting.
Matt's right on this one. The video he posted isn't as good for showing what a red bag looks like because the owner was really on top of things and corrected it before it was visible. It is a great video to show what you should do. The water should break before the foal is coming out. It has travelled a long way to get to that point, the placenta should have torn by then. If the mare is pushing that much and the water hasn't broken, look inside! As everyone has said time is of the essence.

Latest posts

Back