Really....where did Miniature horses originate

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=12pt]I remember reading that back in the 20's or 30's shetland ponies were transported to the US by ship to be used underground in the appalacian(sp) coal mines as they had been used in the UK. A man named Smith McCoy decided to purchase several of the ponies to breed as a hobby to see if he could reduce the size of them. Smith McCoy would go down to the docks when the ponies were unloaded and only buy the smallest. He only bought ponies under 38 inches then later only ponies 34 inches or smaller. I believe I remember that CM Bond and perhaps Delmer Moody? Started buying horses from Smith McCoy to start their herds. But yes they came from Shetland ponies originally.[/SIZE]

I'd love to hear if anyone else remembers this story
default_smile.png

Joy

I remember them, Joy! I have some early publications--some appear to basically be 'ad' booklets, others, magazines of sorts, which make mention of Smith McCoy(who I *believe*, was in W.Virginia?-and his herd of 'midget ponies'...even some info about a sale...might have been when he 'sold out'. I also recall pics of a really rather nice little McCoy-bred stallion--son of his most well-known 'original' stallion, I think...can't recall either sire or son's name, but if I can think to, will try to look it up among those old publications!

Margo

I remember them, Joy! I have some early publications--some appear to basically be 'ad' booklets, others, magazines of sorts, which make mention of Smith McCoy(who I *believe*, was in W.Virginia?-and his herd of 'midget ponies'...even some info about a sale...might have been when he 'sold out'. I also recall pics of a really rather nice little McCoy-bred stallion--son of his most well-known 'original' stallion, I think...can't recall either sire or son's name, but if I can think to, will try to look it up among those old publications!
Margo
[SIZE=12pt]That's awesome Margo. I figured some of us old timers (LOL!) would remember! Yep "Midget Ponies LOL! I don't recall the name of his main herd sire either. But I'm pretty sure that's where CM Bond and I think Del Moody got some of their starting stock from. I bet JC Williams had a few too. If you find any photos it sure would be cool if you could scan them and post. The breed has come such a long way, it's amazing!![/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]What was considered the best back then doesn't come close to "best" now
default_laugh.png
[/SIZE]

Joy

Latest posts

Back