Razored faces

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW...what IS this "pig hair" that everybody talks about?

I HAVE clipped some of my horses in the spring and fall to make it easier on them...and admittedly...me, but it has always grown out nice, tight, and smooth. Perhaps it is a diet or environmental thing??

Once again, I honestly don't see the big fight between people that do or don't clip. To him his own. Most of the people that are razoring aren't doing the whole face and aren't cutting off eyelashes. For the ones that are, take it up with them. I bet you'll have a hard time finding them here on this forum.
Go back to the title of this post...the post is ABOUT razoring faces, and continual body clipping...so I guess, in a way...we ARE "taking it up with "them""; how else to DO IT?

This isn't a "fight to the death"; life is all ABOUT rules, regulations, do's, don'ts, and why not's...there is nothing swrong with discussing things we don't agree with. If we all "went along", how boring would that be?
default_biggrin.png
default_rolleyes.gif

I know what the topic is about. I read everyone's responses. What I meant was the people that have a problem with shaved off eyelashes and full razored faces that they see at shows, do something about it at the show. Coming on the forum and complaining is not taking it up with them-if it's such a big deal, go up to the people who show those horses and talk to them about it. I'm not saying start a big fight with someone at a show because of how they groom-there are tactful ways of doing things. Maybe some people are new at it and just need a few pointers. Maybe they have a very good reason for what they did (mistake, etc). I think everyone that does razor has come on here and given their reasons for doing it on at least one topic regarding the subject. So if people are looking for something else, maybe they need to find someone at a show who does it and start asking questions there. I have found that most people at shows are more than willing to talk about anything you have questions about whether it be feeding, conditioning, prepping, training, clipping, etc. Asking questions is a great way to make new friends too!

The 'pig hairs' are just courser hair that grow, I'm not very good at explaining things I'm sorry! Maybe it is diet or environment. I feed grass/alfalfa hay mix plus oats, omelene 200/300, and beet pulp. Weanlings and yearlings are fed a daily wormer, stallions are wormed once a month, and mares are wormed every 2 months on a schedule my vet came up with. They are all healthy little beggers. I do have a few that get the nice soft, tight summer hair. But, most of mine don't. Maybe I have some weird pig hair gene going through my herd
default_smile.png

headshot.jpg

This horse was clipped with a 30 blade 3 days before this picture was taken, he was razored the night before. I don't think he is "skinned and plucked" at all. I love how he looks. This is a very good facial and a great clip job (thanks to my amateur daughter who does all of our condtioning, training and showing). I also have horses that after a first clip get pig hairs (called that because they resemble the individual coarse hairs on a pig) they are not as coarse but its like they come in one at a time. It happens to the best conditioned horses as well. After the second clip we don't see them anymore, some get them some don't. So I know it doesnt' have to do with environment or diet.

Back the original question, I like it done on my horses, I love the look of a good facial. Its a matter of taste which doesn't make it right or wrong. Again, if you don't like it, don't do it, but don't blast the people that do. I'm sure you would be offended if someone told you that you don't care enough about how your horse looks is why you don't clip. Its just a matter of taste and I like my taste.

I don't mind, and even like the look of a well razored face. If the face is razored and blended well and done on a color that suits the look, I like it better than a face just clipped. I'd rather leave the eyelashes on though. I don't mind people who decide to razor, if they look after their horses properly afterwards which most do, and I have nothing against people who decide not to do it. Sometimes I razor, and sometimes I don't razor. But it is my opinion you can never clean up a horse a enough for a halter class.

However, I think the answer to the question of razoring is undeniably simple. If you like the way razoring looks by all means go ahead and show your horse that way. If you don't like the look of razoring and want to show your horse just clipped in a 10 or in its natural coat, then go ahead and do that. Nobody is going to stop you except yourself, so go ahead and do what you think is right and that is all anyone can expect from you.

This is a very good facial and a great clip job (thanks to my amateur daughter who does all of our condtioning, training and showing).
Yes, a matter of taste it is, and I am allowed to not like it, especially as he has no eyelashes.

I am not saying people cannot do what they want, (except I WOULD definatly never clip off eyelashes) but what I AM saying, is that a judge should never take a razored face over a clipped face in any class. The horse's conformation, has NOTHING to DO with having a face that looks like patent leather.

sue_c: I have to agree that a horse with a natural healthy tight coat will not be hiding his conformation. It seems like the smaller minis tend to hold thier coats or grow them much more coarser than that larger ones, so i can see why they might need more clippings in a year i they are shown alot.
I have been very lucky...one of the best naturally coated, quickest shedding horses was my 29" stallion.

I must need my eyes checked badly I can not see that horses eyeballs close enough to see if he has eyelashes or not but then again I can not read a menu much anymore either lol
Me neither, but magnafied to 400%, you CAN see there are none.
default_yes.gif

Wish I had the eyes I used to have...
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
headshot.jpg

This horse was clipped with a 30 blade 3 days before this picture was taken, he was razored the night before. I don't think he is "skinned and plucked" at all. I love how he looks. This is a very good facial and a great clip job (thanks to my amateur daughter who does all of our condtioning, training and showing). I also have horses that after a first clip get pig hairs (called that because they resemble the individual coarse hairs on a pig) they are not as coarse but its like they come in one at a time. It happens to the best conditioned horses as well. After the second clip we don't see them anymore, some get them some don't. So I know it doesnt' have to do with environment or diet.

Back the original question, I like it done on my horses, I love the look of a good facial. Its a matter of taste which doesn't make it right or wrong. Again, if you don't like it, don't do it, but don't blast the people that do. I'm sure you would be offended if someone told you that you don't care enough about how your horse looks is why you don't clip. Its just a matter of taste and I like my taste.
Now that looks very nice! It is still maintaining a natural appearance. He doesn't look greasy, or diseased as sadly many others do. I would never have guess this horse had been razored.

ohmt: I hope you didn't get the impression I was complaining, I was seeking opinions and thoughts out of curiosity. As for taking it up with the people at the shows... I don't have shows to go too. I live in a small rural area in southern montana. The closest AMHR show we have is on the other side of the state. What few local shows we did have were canceled due to lack of interest. So, when I need to know something, when I have a thought or opinion, I need to discuss this online. I had kind of thought that was the point of discussion boards
default_rolleyes.gif

sue_c: I have to agree that a horse with a natural healthy tight coat will not be hiding his conformation. It seems like the smaller minis tend to hold thier coats or grow them much more coarser than that larger ones, so i can see why they might need more clippings in a year i they are shown alot.

I must need my eyes checked badly I can not see that horses eyeballs close enough to see if he has eyelashes or not but then again I can not read a menu much anymore either lol

I think that is a beautiful example of a well done facial and a well presented horse

A halter class really is based on a whole package.. a well conformed horse with a handler who does not how to show it will not win even if it is the best conformed horse in the class (if you cant see that it cant win) most top halter horses have not only good conformation but tons of presence- a good presentation- a good handler- and one who is having a good day and wants to show off who screams look at me here I am

It is up to each person how far and what they will do in the presentation for their horse no different then a beauty pagent. Some go all out some prefer more natural some right in the middle.

We do not clip eyelashes completely off, they are there, shorter than if out in the pasture where he needs them to protect his eyes, but they are there. Since we were just at a show, I went out to look at this horse to see if his lashes were there, yep they are and the show was just a week ago.

A halter class really is based on a whole package.. a well conformed horse with a handler who does not how to show it will not win even if it is the best conformed horse in the class (if you cant see that it cant win) most top halter horses have not only good conformation but tons of presence- a good presentation- a good handler- and one who is having a good day and wants to show off who screams look at me here I am.
I agree with this statement. We had a judge at our local show this year tell us, "some handlers can take a sack of potatoes into the ring and make it look good while others can make a beautiful animal look like a sack of potatoes"
default_yes.gif

I know this is controversial. I haven't yet read the replies and this is jmo. The look and the thought of razoring/balding literally makes my stomach hurt. However, it's still personal preference and people should be able to do what they want even if excessive razoring is gross. I want to be able to show some of my horses with a natural coat. I wouldn't want that to be ruled against.

MiLo Minis said:
Razoring is meant to mimic the "bloom" that occurs naturally on healthy horses on pasture in the summer. I agree that the really black shiny muzzles on grays that have been razored and it is not blended well looks really odd...
I'd always thought the "bloom" people talked about referred to the coat- that healthy shine and color of a well-cared for horse. Is it more to do with the skin?

Shadows Fire said:
Here is my arab mare with just a bridle path. I have let it grow out now. See even in short coat and in plenty of "bloom" she doesn't have the shiny black skin.
06-17-08_1948-1.jpg
ohmt said:
I usually shave my yearlings 3x a summer (the ones that I have for sale) because I can shave them one week so they look great and then the next they look terrible with hair growing in all different directions-their belly hair grows faster than the rest so they look bloated. I have had quarter horses for years and have never had to shave them. Not even a once in the spring type deal. They shed off and look so sleek and never have those nasty pig hairs or the dreaded tummy fuzz. Maybe it's just me, but my biggies and my minis have very different coats.
I agree with you two- the only reason I body clip my minis and take the eyes and nose down with a close blade is to try and achieve the soft fine-skinned look my Arab always had in the summer without any help at all. The minis just don't get that soft gray skin around their noses without a little help!
default_wacko.png
But the trick is I want to make them look like they're that way naturally and then shined up, not like I tried to scrape off the bottom of their face with a butter knife. That requires blending. Lots of blending.

minimomNC said:
headshot.jpg

This horse was clipped with a 30 blade 3 days before this picture was taken, he was razored the night before. I don't think he is "skinned and plucked" at all. I love how he looks. This is a very good facial and a great clip job...
Exactly. This is a GOOD facial, and looks very natural and soft. What many of us think of when we say "razoring" is the hacked-off-at-the-nose, black-slash-marks-above-the-eyes-of-a-white-horse look and that's what we find so icky. I think it's more the technique than the actual tool that is considered objectionable, at least for me personally.

minimomNC said:
I'm sure you would be offended if someone told you that you don't care enough about how your horse looks is why you don't clip.
We do get told this. Frequently.
default_biggrin.png

Reignmaker Miniatures said:
We had a judge at our local show this year tell us, "some handlers can take a sack of potatoes into the ring and make it look good while others can make a beautiful animal look like a sack of potatoes"
default_yes.gif
And that's really what it boils down to! I had someone give me a lesson at my last AMHA show because she said my colt was "too good to do as bad as he did." She was trying to help me get out of my horse's way and learn to show him to his best advantage. Me? I make my horse look like a sack of potatoes. And I've seen some horses in the pasture that you would NEVER imagine were the same champions you saw in the ring that summer because without all the little tricks the trainers use to present them, they're pretty Plain Jane. Halter classes are beauty pageants and that's all there is to it. A true beauty, horse or human, looks good even without makeup but for most of us a few graceful touches make all the difference. The key word is "GRACEFUL" though- many people who razor and do extreme clipping don't seem to understand the concept of blending and contouring to enhance the face. They just shave off the assigned areas to "do what the trainers do" and nevermind if it actually looks good.

I'd love to see each horse shown to their best advantage and in whatever style suits them best. For some that may be a light touch of razoring, for others close clipping, and for still others a natural coat with a little artful trimming. To each their own.

Leia

I'd love to see each horse shown to their best advantage and in whatever style suits them best. For some that may be a light touch of razoring, for others close clipping, and for still others a natural coat with a little artful trimming. To each their own.

Leia
I think this is what we have right now in the rings not every horse walks thru the ring razored some are clipped and blended with 50's and 40's others just done in a 10

Latest posts

Back