Ram Tap CDE--great show!!! Fresno CA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHGal

Reaction score
Well, I am finally mostly unpacked and recovered from the Ram Tap Combined Driving Event. Leia (hobbyhorse23) came all the way down from WA to join me in competing at Ram Tap, which was way awesome! I also saw dangerranger (Eric) there as well, as a spectator. It was great to meet them both!

The weekend started Tuesday night when Leia drove in to where I was boarding Fascination. So weird to meet someone you have talked to for three years, seen pictures of, but not actually met in person! She is a great gal, by the way--very sweet. Kody is hilarious, and much more interactive than Fascination. He looked SO cute all shaved up! Wednesday we played with the horses a bit...then Thursday I hooked up the trailer and discovered a nail in one of the tires!! Not a fun way to start off the day. Three hours later, it was fixed and I was back to packing everything up.

Fast forward to Friday...dressage. :new_shocked: Mom and Dan did alright--he gave her one of the best warmups he's ever done. Unfortunately, the dressage ring was very deep footing and he had to really pull. So that kind of destroyed their score. But he tried, and he looked good out of the ring. :eek: I'll let Leia tell you about Kody's go, but I thought he went very nicely for also having to deal with deep footing. Not sure why they didn't pack the mini arenas like they usually do, but oh well!

Fascination and I didn't do so well on our score...but I was very pleased with her. She gave me a relaxed test (very hard for her), and really tried to put it together for me. :aktion033: However, she is not strong enough on her topline to collect up and give me the upper level gaits that we need. We are certainly making tracks that way, and have been doing tons of ground driving to really get her muscles going, but she can't hold it for very long when pulling a cart in the slightly deeper footing of the big ring. Oh well. I knew we would pay for it.
default_rolleyes.gif
: However, all of our bends were very nice; not one comment of "could bend more" or "counterbent"...which she rarely gets anyway, but the judges were VERY picky, so we definitely have that part down....Yay. Bending is one of my big issues...early on, I don't care where their head is(to a certain point), whatever, as long as they bend correctly!!

Marathon day was bright and warm, which was good for the course(some parts would have become a mud pit!), though a couple of sprinkles wouldn't have been amiss. Alas, not so good for the horses. All VSEs had to do the same course as the big horses (YAY), so everyone had a walk section. I was first to go for the VSEs, so that I was 'with' the Intermediates, who went right before me. Leia can tell you how far Training VSEs had to go; I'm not sure. My mom with Dan went around 10 k, and had a nice go on marathon with the Pacific cart with the marathon shafts...I did not get to see any of it, however. He still doesn't quite get the idea of hazards=fast, but he is starting to understand. It was his second Prelim event.

Fascination went for about 11.7k on this marathon, and came in just fine. The course was deep in places, but we mostly avoided those parts (skirted them). We had 7 hazards, and were on course for about an hour and 15 minutes (not including waiting to start or vet check, but actually on course, being timed). Sect E was fun...the hazards were great. A couple of our times were not as fast as they could have been, owing to me not remembering a turn or going too fast and overshooting a turning spot. However, Hazard 7, which was the Intermediate only hazard (after going down a huge hill and before going up a hill), was literally a horserace. One or two tighter turns (still pretty open), and the rest was gallop room (we're talking larger than the long end of a 40x100m dressage ring, at least). Fascination liked that hazard, and we were only two seconds behind the fastest horse. So that was pretty awesome.

Then there was cones. It was wet. And sloppy. And Fascination and I hated it in unison. :cold: Dan and Kody had it pretty good; they were the first ones to go. Leia had a lovely cones go, I got to see hers, though not Mom's. Fascination and I, however, were 30-something horses later, with the Intermediates. So a bunch of big horses had tromped the arena to sludge. Some parts were packed, but most was very muddy. My poor cart was just nasty mud from top to bottom. But it was a nice course all in all. Fascination and I still had fun, though she wasn't as willing to go fast in cones as she usually is, and didn't have any balls down (clean run). We got to borrow Leia's driving cooler while waiting, which is like the best thing ever!

Finally we all went home. My mom took second to Cris's lovely mare, out of two, but Dan is making improvements. I took first, but that was pretty meaningless other than we didn't eliminate. Hopefully some people will be joining me in Intermediate VSEs at some point!

On Monday, Leia and I traded carts for a bit, then traded horses. This was a LOT of fun! The hyperbike is very cool, although it didn't really fit Fascination, as she is quite a bit longer and somewhat taller than Kody, so I would have to adjust it to really try it out and we certainly didn't have time! Kody looked REALLY cute in my Jerald Mini A, although it was a mite big on him (those 30" wheels add a lot of height!). Kody is a lot of fun to drive; he is very smart! Leia and I drive a bit differently(end goal is the same), but we were able to drive each other's horses no problem...I hope Leia will share the cute pictures from that try out session!

Kody is absolutely convinced that Fascination is his mare...unfortunately, so is Dan! They were fine while Fascination wasn't around, but not so much when there was a mare that, obviously, did not belong to the other guy! Fascination really couldn't have cared less, as long as someone was around. It was very cute.

Sadly, my camera bit the dust before Leia's cones go, and our times were always at the same time, it seems like! So few pictures are available, but hopefully there will be some from the photographer at the show. I will post what I have in the next post!
default_yes.gif
:

And my (very) small contingent of pictures. I have a few of Kody, but Leia ought to see them first. :bgrin

Dan about three minutes after hitching--not warmed up at all.

e9bd1f81.jpg

Warming up.

e9bd1f82.jpg

Warming up some more...doesn't he look cute??

e9bd1f7e.jpg

And in the dressage test. The ground doesn't look so deep here, but trust me, it was.

e9bd1f83.jpg

At safety check with Fascination. She had just been hitched up. I love her expression here--rolling an eye back to check on what they were doing. :lol:

e9bd1f86.jpg

One of the very few clear pictures my mom got; most are blurry or of ground, not horse. It's not even particularly good, but I wanted to show something...

e9bd1f87.jpg

In Leia's driving cooler, in the mud. You can see from Fascination's expression that she was not pleased with the conditions. And I did use wraps for cones, as the course was short enough that they wouldn't be coming off, but I felt she needed the extra protection.

e9bd1f8c.jpg

Leia....email me some pics!
default_smile.png

The whole thing with Kody and Fascination was a riot. Kody normally buddies up immediately with the geldings and shows no interest at all in mares since he's been gelded so I assumed he and Dan would be the great pair. But noooooo....Dan took one look at him approaching the trailer where he was tied with Fas, thought "Rival!" and charged him with his ears pinned.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Kody couldn't have cared less about Dan either except to look startled and dodge away from him. But he'd met Fas at the boarding barn and spent a lot of time staring at her through his paddock fence because she was the only horse in his line of sight. By the time we got to the show I think he was more than half in love with her and he'd sidle up at every opportunity, all respectful-like and eager, and prick his ears and halter stretch for her. "See how handsome I am? You're pretty. You run fast and look good in harness. Can I be your boyfriend?"
default_pray.gif
: :new_rofl: I'm going to have to do a lot of editing of inappropriate parts from photos where they were together! :nono: Gotta give him credit though- he was persistant, polite, and it paid off. By the end of the show Fascination was even condescending to return his hopeful lip wiggles and keep the flame alive. Poor Dan, Kody didn't even bother to make a battle of it. He just walked in and stole Dan's girlfriend without even acknowledging his rival. So unfair!
default_whistling.gif
: :lol:

Then there was cones. It was wet. And sloppy. And Fascination and I hated it in unison. Dan and Kody had it pretty good; they were the first ones to go. Leia had a lovely cones go, I got to see hers, though not Mom's.
:new_rofl: :risa_suelos: :new_rofl: And your expressions showed that hatred quite nicely! I was snickering hard watching the two of you sitting there glaring at the rain falling past your noses like it had done you personal injury. I really need to get that rain cooler modified so it has a slot for the breeching, other than that it was great! Ironically this trip to California is the first time I've needed the cooler since I bought it.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I want to note that Breanna had to choose between watching her mom and watching me because we went simultaneously in two different rings and since my mom was sick that morning Breanna was right there to help me hitch, hold (rearing) Kody while I walked the cones course, and would have taken pictures if her camera hadn't died. What a friend! :aktion033: :worshippy:

The training level course was 9km, only one less than Prelim.

I will email you pictures, but at least you got to see mine on the camera. I have NO idea what you and your mom got of Kody. Share already! LOL

Leia

:new_shocked: wow that looks like soooo much fun...
default_wub.png
: . Both Dan & Facination look awesome.
default_yes.gif
: I'm glad everyone had so much fun... Well congrats from the OTHER side of the country :no: .

Ash :saludando:

Sounds like a grand time was had by all,,even Kody!! Loved the pictures and hearing about the VSE events you go too.

If we can get together this summer...Maggie should prove,,,ah humm..interesting. She likes boys..any boys.. :new_shocked: :lol: Just glad I have a non leather harness.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thanks for the wonderful report, young ladies! I really enjoy hearing all about your adventures!!

I get the shudders seeing the mud, though--here, if it rained much, it simply wouldn't be possible to go forward with such an event, no matter what size horses were involved...our soil is adobe clay-slick as SNOT and sucking, sticky when very wet--NOT conducive to horses even being able to stay on their feet.

Two friends and I were set to drive down to the southern part of the state for an ADT(to see what it was like, not compete-yet, anyway!) this past weekend, but my Maltese had a neurological problem, and after a vet visit, I felt I needed to be at home to keep a close eye on her(she's on meds, could have taken her w/ us, but that would have been stressful for her)-one had already had to opt out, then me--turned out they had severe thunderstorms AND heavy wind down there yesterday-so things probably turned out for the best, as it was!! Now we are pointing toward a CDE in CO in August, hopefully!

(I have a mare that regularly pees while in harness,boys around or not; I second Shari's remark about being glad I have synthetic!!)

Congrats to all on your efforts and achievements--right ON!!

Margo

Thanks for sharing this terrific story and pictures! It sounds like a lot of fun, even with the footing challenges.

I don't compete at this time, but I have some of those challenges in my home driving situation so I know how difficult it can be. Our outdoor arena is sand and some sections are so deep and loose - terrible in the wet winter months. It is finally firm enough for me to feel like we can get a decent drive in.

I'm bumping this up for all those voracious people who requested a show report, then haven't responded to it when posted! LOL

Leia

I was waiting for the Kody pictures.......................................................................

This is great!! I love the pictures and can't wait to see the Kody picts as well. Oh you girls are so lucky! I am so jealous
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Breanna, where did you get Dan's harness? It looks like a nice comfy one. I like Fascinations as well and know that Tanglewood farms made it for you... I am shopping and shopping for a good all around, comfy harness for CDE's and cross country driving. So am curious!

Thanks so much for the pictures and the stories too! I love reading about your CDE's
default_yes.gif
:

::snicker:: I'm working on it, I'm working on it! Breanna hasn't emailed me or returned my phone calls, the brat, and the professional pictures aren't up yet for me to peruse. I promise I'll post my report soon.

Leia

Latest posts

Back