Rain!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, we are pretty well saturated here in SW OK. I wish I had taken photos of my horse motel with the sheets of water running under/around it. This was taken this morning. It has been unusable for my horses ever since it started raining. On the left you can see the embankment that is the pond. The pond has been dry for two years, and barely there for 5. We did not remember that the overflow went around this side of the pond when we moved the horse motel to this spot a few years ago. What a mess. Of course, this whole rain cycle is unusual, but we need to figure out whether to move the motel or build up inside with deep sand. It's in a convenient spot for use, but if this overflow-thing is going to happen often we'll have to move it. There was a whole salt block in there before the rain. No sign of it now. The only thing that kept the rubber feed tubs from floating out when the rain first started was the metal rim of the structure. You can see they are not inside any more.

The motel is anchored with 4 mobile home anchors, so it is a big job to move it.

The only dry spot for my horses is under a small shelter in the corral. This has been a challenging few weeks!

horse motel.jpg

That is a really nice shelter! Looks like it would take a lot of sand to build that up. You may have to move it, unless there is a way to divert the runoff from the other side around it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my Marsha - now my mud problem looks pathetic - at least Crystal's barn (much the same as yours to look at, except it has a rounded roof) is dry and cosy

That is a really nice shelter! Looks like it would take a lot of sand to build that up. You may have to move it, unless there is a way to divert the runoff from the other side around it.
Yes, it's a nice shelter! We added the gates so I can divide it. Not sure what we will do yet. With all the other water problems it will have to wait, since the horses have other shelter. Originally the motel was on higher ground, but we added a big leanto to the barn, so that's why we moved it. More rain last night, just when it was beginning to be less squelchy. (I'm really tired of having to wash my dog every time we go in and out.) BUT our poor lake is up to 80%!! People's wells that were dry are running again. The water situation in the area had been quite desperate. So, always a silver lining.

sounds like the water was much needed. You may need to go ahead and move it, no telling how long this weather pattern will last.

I have been checking my horse motel. Today I was finally able to use a heavy garden rake and get the soggy hay out of it. To give you an idea how wet it was, there were baby frogs as I raked! I feel better getting it raked out, but it is still green and unhealthy-smelling in there. Wish I could lift the roof off and let the sun into it for a day!

Luckily it is not my only shelter.

I heard someone wish for a little shower on the garden a few days ago. Be careful what you wish for...

hopefully it will dry out soon for you, raking it will help. I know that was a hard job since soggy hay is heavy.

Checked it again today. It's drying out, but still doesn't smell healthy. More rain is due tonight; they will have to continue using their little shelter. One of my hroses is so sensitive to storms. He colicked right before a storm last fall, when I first got him. Now, I notice that right before we get some significant weather, he lays down alot and even rolls--which scares me half to death. He was laying down this morning. I gave him some banamine and he seems more comfortable. He has been on prebiotic since the colic episode.

So, I am expecting Something with the weather...

Marsha you might want to consider putting the sensitive horse on ulcer preventative meds, I'd be almost willing to bet he's ulcer prone, they can present about like colic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back