Rain rot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Horse Lover

Reaction score
One of my boys has rainrot on his back and I'm wondering how you guys treat it? What should I put on it and should I bring him into the stall? Its been raining a lot lately. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! I'm about to go out and do my evening chores and so it'd be great to get some advice asap..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

I have used Blue Kote. It is a spray antiseptic. It will make your horses turn purple were sprayed but when I had it once, it cleared it right up. The purple does wear off.

And the best thing is to keep him dry. So yes I would keep him in when it is raining.

I am sure some other people will have more ideas, but this one did work for me.

Good luck, and I hope your gets better soon.

MTG - it has sulfur in it and will help clear it up... actually use to get sulfur powder from my vet and was told to mix it with mineral oil - then found MTG (Mane Tail Grow) I got it at Tractor supply.

good luck

Listerine also works to clear up rain rot as will diluted lysol. It does sting when it is applied so have someone there to hold the horse.. the listerine.. i get the generic kind and pour it straight out of the bottle down the back. It clears it up pretty quickly.

Just chiming in to second the vote for Listerine! It works very well.

Muck Itch also works, but you'll just pay more for it than you will the Listerine.

I use MTG it works Fast! Only need a small amount, never tried the Listerine, but have used it for other things..

Thanks so much for all the replies! I've brought him in and will get that Listerine for him. Thanks again so much!

I have clipped the areas around the rain rot when I have had it. The air alone helps it dry out. I also use chlorox and water mixed dabbed on it. Then the MTG to make the hair grow back, but after the rain rot dries out.

Good luck, it is fungus BTW so anything for a fungus cure would probably work.

Beth

Last edited by a moderator:
The least expensive cure is an old one. Pick off the scabs and put a dab of used motor oil on each spot. It clears it up quicker than anything else I have ever tried. A vet actually told me this although he said "you didn't hear it from me!"
default_biggrin.png

My little guy got that the first year I had him. Unexperienced as I was, I took the old standby cure all route, apple cidar vinegar. I thought he'd flinch a bit, which he didnt. I put some on a sponge and just gently soaked in in until it was,,,well, soaked. After a few minutes to sit, rinsed it off. Only 2 days of doing that and it was literally a couple days after that and he had old flakes dried up and falling off with brand new hair growing underneath. He had no problems whatsoever after that. I LOVE ACV for lots of animal issues. In fact the ACV and listerine works wonderful for fly spray and it doesnt have all the bad chemicals to worry about. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Muck Itch also works, but you'll just pay more for it than you will the Listerine.

So for the Listerine, its just that mouth wash right? Cause thats what we got, its orange. Do I just pour it down his back? How many times a day?

I leased a stallion from the south once, he came complete with a bad dose of rain rot all across the top of his back end, from their very humid climate.

I shampooed him with an iodine based shampoo, then dried him thoroughly with the hair dryer and then added some medicated ointment and he cleared up fast enough to enter the show ring.

But you gotta keep him out of the rain till he gets completed healed up.

Wendy

So for the Listerine, its just that mouth wash right? Cause thats what we got, its orange. Do I just pour it down his back? How many times a day?

Yep, the orange/yellowish mouthwash. The old fashioned stuff. You can just pour it on. Or you can put it in a spray bottle and spray it on well enough to soak down to the skin. That's what I do.

In the summer I mix a spray bottle of 1 part amber listerine, 1 part baby oil, and 1 part white vinegar. It serves as a great homemade fly spray AND it keeps the rain rot away!

I like the iodine wash with the MTG afterward. Have never tried the listerine, but I am going to keep the homemade fly recipe and try it! Thanks for posting that!

Ok, thanks guys! You've all been a big help! He's in a stall in the barn that keeps in out of the rain and I'm trying the Listerine. I'll let you guys know how it works out for us!!! Thanks again!!!

HOld on there folks1 Our horse trailer suggested iodine in baby oil... works great... She had a good point in that the baby oil sort of keeps the water off the area until it heals, because of the oil. It's worked really well for me I can't say enough about how well it worked. I mix it in a spray bottle and spray away... once a day on the area until it's well healed.. and then.. well, we've never had it as an issue again... Still got the bottle... half filled... just sitting on my self. I guess when you have something that works.. you just don't need it anymore... Lol.

God Bless..

Latest posts

Back