Thoughts on a good drive today, from an "improving" driver

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are so right - when we both get wired it ain't pretty, haha.

It is truly amazing to me how much transfers down those reins, just from thoughts.

Thank you for sharing your experiences! That is so awesome.

I'd wondered if it would work for others similar to what I'd started to experience or not... The bad thing is that this year for us over all has been so in-consistent with working ponies at all - due to LIFE.

Another two exercises that I've used while riding, but not really yet while driving, is the "point to point" or "post to post" - you choose a spot to drive to, continue to look at it and pick a speed and your horse goes to it. When you arrive at your "post", you turn and pick a new spot and go to it. When riding, you do this on a loose or draped rein and you let your horse "make the mistake" of going the wrong way, straying off the direction or changing speeds and that is when you pick up your rein and correct him. Then release to go again (as you've already stated that you do). I believe when driving that you really don't want a draped or loose rein - maybe just loose enough to still allow them to "make the mistake" and you correct them, then "turn them loose again" - but really having somewhat light contact. What do you think? I LIKE this exercise, when riding. Works very, very well with our arabs and they learned that they didn't have to rush everywhere.

The other one I think you could do while driving is "Cruise Control". This one was hard for me when riding - think it might be almost impossible while driving -not sure. You pick the speed (tell your horse to go) but he can go anywhere he wants in the arena. your only thing is to have him go the speed you want. Even with driving - this means one rein for slowing, stopping, correcting. I just know that I have a hard time "turning them loose".

For both of these exercises, I'd want to have a fenced area to work within not an open field, but I could see eventually using pasture obstacles.

Yes, I've used the Point to Point a lot. Used that with my paint that now has 20 rides. (Life has got in the way with him too, oh well.) He needs more motivation, so I would focus on a corner or a letter or something, correct as needed, and when we would get there, I'd let him stand for a few minutes. He's a more whoa than go type.

The other one you mention we call passenger lesson - horse goes wherever he wants, but at the gait you pick. Sure is good for learning to stay in harmony instead of working against the horse.

I've thought of trying that with her when she is in high energy mode, but I'm finding that things are starting to go quite well. Yesterday we went out approx 4 miles and she offered a slow trot and even walking.

Once she did not want to stand still - keeping a firm grip and firmly saying whoa didn't work, just caused her to want to get going. What worked in this case was to be very firm on the bit, then release when she quit pulling. She was able to stand then. Keeping a tight grip does not work, she just fights it and gets stronger.

I haven't tried going back into my driving/riding ring yet - when I do I will try some of the new strategies.

Thanks for the ideas!

Latest posts

Back