Rabies Vacinations... how young?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyWestTexasFarmGirl

Reaction score
What age can foals get the Rabies vacinations? We are having alot of skunks coming up with rabies in surrounding counties.... A friend of mine is setting up to give rabies shots for her horses and any of us that want ours done this weekend, we just arent sure about Levi... he is 4months old not quite 4 1/2.........

That's a little early.... another month would be better. If his mother was vaccinated this year he'll be protected through her.

A lot of data shows that it would be better to start all vaccines at 5 months. But its a little hard to have each foal on a different schedule varying by a few days or a few weeks and keep track of it.

I would prefer to wait, but if waiting isn't going to be particularly feasible, then vaccinating now is better than not at all.

Dr Taylor

I think the rule of thumb is 6mos, but it's something I'd call my own vet and ask if I were you. Most vets will give you that kind of an answer over the phone, or relayed through their staff
default_yes.gif

That's a little early.... another month would be better. If his mother was vaccinated this year he'll be protected through her.
Just wanted to clarify, I don't think Mr Luszcz means imply that the foal is protected for a year, rather that the foal is protected through about 5 months. So there might not need to be a hurry.

Dr Taylor

No, sorry. If the mare is vaccinated previous to foaling, the foal will be protected until the IgG (through the mare's milk) "wears off". That happens between months 4-5. You do NOT want to vaccinate before this time, you can actually harm the horse's immune system (not HUGELY, but it happens). After that time, you will need to start the foal vaccine series's. Remember, one injection isn't enough. You will need to give the first-time series of several boosters. Each vaccine will have their own protocol, I do not recall any of them atm
default_sad.png
Sorry.

Dr Taylor, are foals in fact protected from rabies if the dams are immunized? I read somewhere in the last year that there is evidence that immunity for rabies does not transfer.

I don't generally start vaccinations for my foals until 6 or 7 months, if there are no specific concerns.

Jan

The American Association of Equine Practitioners included rabies as a core vaccine in its recently updated vaccination guidlines. I have always given it, I still have to argue with the vets here to have it included in my annual vaccination program. This is a big county and no one can say for sure the wild population is free from it. The numbers of equid rabies cases is increasing steadily. There is now Equirab, shown to provide 14 months of protection and proben safe for use in foals four months of age or older. You have to judge when the foal was weaned. Vaccinate preferably at 5 to 6 months if weaned and 4 to 6 weeks after for a booster. Then vaccinate annually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back