Rabicano-

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluerogue

Reaction score
I have two rabicano's. Both what I would term to be maximum rabicano's, as their roaning is body wide, including heads and legs. No true roan in background either. Mine are a mare, and her 2005 filly. The mare is a sorrel sired by a black (Komokos Dark Destroyer), and out of a sorrel (a Rowdy daughter, NFC Rowdys Omega). While Lady does have pinto in her background, I can't find any true roans in there. But she is definitely a roan of some sort. She has the skunk tail, and her roaning is heaviest on her flanks. Due to this, I have come to the conclusion that she is rabicano. When she had Princess, her filly, Princess was a solid sorrel, with a tiny bit of a skunk tail. As I love roans of any variety, I was somewhat disappointed that she was born solid. That didn't last long, as now at 8 months old, Princess resembles a true roan, except her head and her legs are also roaned. Her heaviest roaning occurs over her hips, running down onto her flanks. Princess's sire is a solid black (Lazy N Littleman son, out of a Ayers Mini Red Man bred mare). Reading the overo thread, I was surprised to see some people's opinion that rabicano is related to sabino. I've never heard that before, but can see where it would come from. I actually like this idea, now if we can prove it! We'll see what my mare has this year, as she's bred back to the sire of her filly. So what are your thoughts on rabicano? Anyone have any ideas on mine? Could they be harboring something else that is causing the roaning to be so widespread?

i really wish there was more written about it but as you probably know theres not a lot out there. Rockets daughter tiny i believe is also rabicano but because shes carrying silver you cant see it in her tail. But every year her flanks are more and more roaned like her dad rocket.

i have never heard of rabicano affecting head color though. that is probably sabino.

heres an article on it rocket looks just like that big horse on the left

www.equinecolor.com/rabicano.html

Well, sabino is definitely a possibility, as these horses are Rowdy bred. But they don't have ANY white markings at all. The only white on any of the three of them is the very small snip the stallion has between his nostrils. Except for the roaning on the girls. Other than that, solid all the way. All five of the stallions foals born this past year were solids, save the one appaloosa colt, who got the appy from his dam. Dazzle has a star, exactly like her dam's, and granddam's. No facial markings on anyone else, with the exception of Dazzle's star, and Littleman's (the sire) snip. I guess if Lady foals a full colored sabino we'll know for sure. That would be AWESOME. You'll be able to hear me clear from where you are in Ohio, Kay, if she does!

Rowdy was a minimal Frame- I am not sure he was Sabino at all, had he been I think it would have expressed more loudly.

I have a Rowdy granduaghter. She is yearling this year by my Rowdy son out of a liver chestnut SOLID Dream Merchant daughter.

The oder she gets, the more white spots she gets on her. I understand that small white spots (not relative to injury or pinto) are sabino spots, she also has roan in her. I have a Mime daughter out of this same mare that has them too, and Mime is a frame, again thinking these are sabino spots, since Mime carries all three of the overo genes.

BUT maybe those little white spots are coming from momma since both Miracle and Crimson are sisters out of the same mare. Anyone heard of a mare called Misteree? Know anything about her?

The Rowdy grandaughter also has a small white spot underneath her belly about the size of a half dollar. She has a wild looking snip too. I think roaning in general when present from overo parents is overo related. I have a feeling the Little Man could be an overo. Did you ever test him? His dam is related to NFC Impressive Streaker dam, I'm almost sure. He has put white on foals out of solid color mares before and a blue eye on one of them.

Beth

I haven't done any color testing on anyone yet. I am still trying to get my mom to see why it is necessary. I have a feeling my Buckeroo grandson is homozygous for black, but she doesn't see the need to have him tested. I will eventually get everybody involved tested at some point. Lady (my Rowdy granddaughter) developed "bird catcher" spots last summer too, and they have since disappeared. So I have no clue what she's doing. Trying to keep me on my toes, I guess. Not that it matters a whole lot, as neither Lady nor Princess are going anywhere. It sure is interesting though to watch how their coats change every other week or so.

Latest posts

Back