quit smoking using Chantix

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvf

Reaction score
Hi all

I just thought i would give an update. (i posted on this a few months back)

It has been 3 months today since i quit smoking. I used Chantix to do it.

They recommend that you take Chantix for 3 months, but i only took it for 6 weeks.

So anyway...so far, so good. (And this is the longest i have ever quit smoking before.)

I am still not confident that i will never smoke again, But i sure hope i won't.

Oh, i have been saving the money that i would have used to buy cigarettes and so far i have $900 saved!!

I am actually quite embarrsed to admit that i smoked that much
default_new_shocked.gif

So has anyone else quit?

I've been meaning to go to my Dr and ask for it since you originally posted, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Can you tell me again what it was like quitting with Chantix? Any side effects? Do you use the patch too, or just the Chantix?

I have quit on Aug 22 but this is not the first time I quit serveral times before but the longest was over 4 years.

My hairdresser ( a smoker for 30 years) used it and quit like that! She couldnt believe that it worked and she didnt even WANT a cigarette... She is very happy that she isnt smoking but now she has gained weight. I told her she just needs to watch what she eats... She is used to eating anything but now she cant ...

I have tried quitting before. The longest for me was always a month or so.

I have used it all, gum, patch, lozenges etc etc etc, Nothing really has worked quite like this has.

This is different.

You start taking this pill (prescription), twice a day for the first week while you are still smoking. Before the end of the first week i had quit smoking totally. I just didn't care if i smoked or not.

Then into the second week you only take 1 pill a day.

They recommend that you take this pill for 3 months. But i only took it for 6 weeks.

I do have 2 weeks worth of pills on hand in case i do need them.

The thing with Chantix is...if you slip up and smoke, it's ok...just quit again.

But for me, and believe me, i was a very heavy smoker and smoked for many years and this time it was incredibly easy to quit.

I still can't believe it.

As far as side effects... I had a friend at work that also has quit using Chantix, and he had weird dreams.

I never had any dreams.

The worst side effect for me was, I would feel nausaus for about a half hour after taking the pill. Especially on an empty stomach. ( i learned real fast to make sure i had ate something before taking this pill)

I still don't know if i have quit smoking forever, but i can honestly say at least for now i have no cravings.

This is so unlike any other time i have quit smoking.

Good for you ! !
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I smoked for 25 yrs,
default_new_shocked.gif
quit 17 yrs ago in Jan.

Quiting is tough. I still remember it, but I don't miss them

at all now.

Took a couple of years before I could say that though.

Had weight gain problems for a while but finally went back to the size I started at.

Hang in there.

My step mom quit smoking using Chantix, I am really proud of her! She was a very heavy smoker, in my opinion, and I always had concern about how much she smoked. She's tried quitting many times before, tried many other prescription programs, never worked until Chantix. She said by the end of the first week, when you could still smoke while taking the pills, that she actually started to feel disgusted of the thought, and taste, of a cigarette and that in turn made her stop wanting another cigarette. She said her biggest problem was trying to kick the "habit" of holding something in her fingers and the "sucking" of a cigarette so she bought suckers...she now has an unlimited supply of tootsie pops!

I am very glad she went with Chantix and very glad she quit!

I'm not familiar with Chantix, but my husband quit smoking about 10 years ago with Zyban (wellbutrin). Same thing - he had tried the patch, gum, you name it, was a heavy long time smoker and nothing came close to working until this. He quit within a week or so and never went back. Awesome stuff!!!

Jan

default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif

I truly detest smoking (never have, never will), and I also admire you for taking this step. I wish smoking was non-existent in this world. I know some people really need it, but I wish it was not so desirable (which I fail to understand) that people would risk their health with it and also intrude on other people's health, safety and comfort to do so.

Thank you and my sincere congratulations as well as best wishes that you continue to be smoke-free. KUDOS!!!

Liz

Not sure if this is only for WI or state-wide but as of January 1, 2008 ALL cigarette prices will be increasing by a dollar! May not sound like much but my sister told me it was enough to make her, and her husband, both agree they are going to quit smoking (for real this time!).

I just can't imagine the cost...$6 per pack, times even 2 packs a day...if $12/day x a 30 day month that's $360 a month just for smoking!
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you are having such good success this time around! I hope you can stick with it and never smoke again. I'm like Liz, I've never smoked and would never do it. I wish more people would never take that first puff as I know from other people how addictive it is.

I have quit numerous time, the longest was for 6 months. I have already bought the chantix for me and my husband. We are starting after the new year. I'm with you... I'm pretty confident I can quit (done it before) and I hear with the Chantix it will even be easier than ever, however, I'm not confident that I can stay quit...I can't believe I started back up after 6 months the last time, I was so disappointed in myself. Anyhow...congrats on quiting and I'll be praying you stay quit...it's so hard. I know people who have been quit for many many years and they say occasionally they still crave one...

Wishing you continued success!

For all of you who are quitting----

Congrat, Congrat, Congrats

You can do it and stop forever!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Just think how good your health will be and you will save so much money you can buy a special Mini horse to love and cuddle and they smell soooooooooo much better than a cigarette...!!

thats great! good job, im trying to get my mother to stop
default_no.gif
no luck...maybe she should try this chantix!! how long have u been smoking?

VVF, your original post was enough to get me to at least TRY the chantix. Hubby's company reimbursed us, so that was an added bonus. Tomorrow will be 2 months for me. Believe me, I've wanted a smoke (a LOT going on in our lives right now), but I haven't had one and that's good for me.

My biggest thing was "smoke em if you've got em". The day before my acutual "quit date", I ran out and decided to not buy any more. I know if I had any, and at my stress level lately, I'd be smoking like a freight train :DOH! I only took the Chantix for 3 weeks. I couldn't afford to pay for another month so I just stopped taking it. I was EXTREMELY cranky after I stopped but I'm better now. I did have the strange dreams side effect. They weren't like "I married Brad Pitt" strange, more like "I watched a scarey movie before bed and dreamed about clipping my bird's toenails."
default_wacko.png
It was always fun guessing what I'd dream next
default_rolleyes.gif

I forgot to add that I was a smoker for 13 years and I came from a family of heavy smokers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[horse_chick Posted Today, 08:34 AM

thats great! good job, im trying to get my mother to stop no luck...maybe she should try this chantix!! how long have u been smoking?

I have smoked for 34 years and as much as i hate to admit it, the last 7 or 8 years i have smoked a pack and a half to 2 packs a day.

[steph_D Posted Today, 01:24 PM

VVF, your original post was enough to get me to at least TRY the chantix. Hubby's company reimbursed us, so that was an added bonus. Tomorrow will be 2 months for me. Believe me, I've wanted a smoke (a LOT going on in our lives right now), but I haven't had one and that's good for me.

My biggest thing was "smoke em if you've got em". The day before my acutual "quit date", I ran out and decided to not buy any more. I know if I had any, and at my stress level lately, I'd be smoking like a freight train I only took the Chantix for 3 weeks. I couldn't afford to pay for another month so I just stopped taking it. I was EXTREMELY cranky after I stopped but I'm better now. I did have the strange dreams side effect. They weren't like "I married Brad Pitt" strange, more like "I watched a scarey movie before bed and dreamed about clipping my bird's toenails." It was always fun guessing what I'd dream next

I forgot to add that I was a smoker for 13 years and I came from a family of heavy smokers.

Steph, Congratulations on your 2 months!! i am glad that it is working for you too. I think i mentioned before, i had tried everything, even the Wellbutrin, But this is the only thing that worked. And i still don't know if i have permantly quit smokeing. But i sure hope so.

I always heard how you would feel better and food would taste better, etc etc...That part i actually haven't noticed. LOL.

But they raised the price of cig's in my state and i definately have saved alot of money in the last 3 months.

Anyway, hang in there

Is this stuff anything like Zyban? I did good on Zyban but the side effects made me feel like I was on speed all the time. I felt like I was losing control of my brain and body and had a feeling like I was going to start siezing. Plus the week straight of no sleep. Found out later that they did tests and found out it DOES cause seizures. And my doctor looked at me funny when I first mentioned it, go figure. Don't they test this stuff BEFORE they dispense it? Apparently not to the extent they should!

Is this stuff available in Canada? I love my smokes but really want to quit and the patch, gum and other gimmicks did not work for me. The zyban cut out the smoking craving but wasn't worth the side effects.

My Mother also had very bad dreams on the Chantix...very disturbing, scarey dreams, it got to where she couldn't sleep so she stopped taking it. I've heard the dreams will diminish in a couple weeks, anyone know?

Latest posts

Back