Quick question about Weimaraner Pups

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitz Huf Miniatures

Reaction score
[SIZE=18pt]We are interested in purchasing a Weimaraner puppy and were wondering if their noses darken with age? We found some locally that have pink noses as newborns and read that the registry prefers gray noses. Any information about this breed would be greatly appreciated.[/SIZE]

Thanks so much!

Jenifer

:aktion033:
default_wub.png
: I have had weims several times in m life, and I LOVE the breed.......that said, unless you are showing it wont matter. The "pink" nose will self color as they get older and it wont actually look pink. I envy you, my last weim passed away 2 years ago and I really miss him. Have fun with your new pup,

Alicia

[SIZE=18pt]My husband has never had a dog and has been talking about Weims since we started dating 12 years ago!
default_wacko.png
: He wants to be sure he's getting the best pup to hopefully eventually breed and keeps hearing what to look for/what to avoid. All he wants is a female with a gray nose (as per the registry) and is hoping for blue eyes, but will be happy regardless. I have my heart set on one in particular, but he wants to know whether or not her little pink nose will change as she gets older, so thank you for letting me know it will change! :aktion033:
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]My husband has never had a dog and has been talking about Weims since we started dating 12 years ago!
default_wacko.png
: He wants to be sure he's getting the best pup to hopefully eventually breed and keeps hearing what to look for/what to avoid. All he wants is a female with a gray nose (as per the registry) and is hoping for blue eyes, but will be happy regardless. I have my heart set on one in particular, but he wants to know whether or not her little pink nose will change as she gets older, so thank you for letting me know it will change! :aktion033:
[/SIZE]
here are some links to clubs who should have breeders who can help answer your questions.

The best choice is to work with a breeder who knows what you want in the dog and what your plans are and can help you along the way.

http://www.dvwc.org/default.htm

http://www.weimclubamerica.org/

http://www.dcweimclub.org/breeder-pages.html

this is a link giving info on common hereditary issues in weims

http://ncweimaraner.org/health.html

good luck finding the right breeder.

Well, thier eyes will turn amber, not stay blue......... as far as wanting a grey nose so she can be bred, I know I need not say there are other things that should be considered too!
default_yes.gif
:

Make sure to buy from a breeder who shows in the discipline you plan on exibiting in.....not a backyard breeder who just wants to sell puppies. Weims can have a LOT of health problems....5 of the 6 I have had all had a disease they needed medication for. They are prone to bloat, bleeding disorders and hypothyroidism among others. All I'm saying is do your research carefully, and you wont be sorry. They are an awesome breed of dog, very loyal but a lot of energy. ALso can be barkers if left alone too long.
default_wacko.png
: in thier mind, 10 minutes can bee too long...........depending on the dog.
default_smile.png

I had one tunnel out through my kitchen wall to get to me when he thought I was in the other room. A nice mess to say the least. :eek:

[SIZE=18pt]Thanks so much for all of the links and advice. I truly appreciate all of the help![/SIZE]

I know there is a lot more to a pup than a gray nose for breeding.
default_smile.png
My hubby has been researching the breed for quite some time, but didn't realize about noses until recently. Go figure!
default_wacko.png
:

Oh my! I couldn't imagine having a wall tunneled through! :new_shocked:

I am generally home all day and we usually don't go anywhere for more than a couple of hours at a time, although I know it's not only a couple of hours to a dog! :bgrin

Latest posts

Back