Quick question about harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renee

Reaction score
Is it better to have the breast collar strap going over the neck or back to the saddle waterhook? I've always just gone over the neck, but see many photos of it going back to the waterhook. Opinions?

Renee

Attaching the breastcollar strap to the waterhook is a show ring thing meant to "clean up" the neck of the horse, not for the comfort of the horse. Those harnesses are (or should be) designed to accept the angle of the breastcollar strap from the breastcollar itself. Your average pleasure harness should not be tacked up this way, as it will "pull funny" on the breastcollar.

The exception is that there are some harnesses that have a strap that runs from the breastcollar strap to the waterhook, so that the breastcollar strap stays in place. I have not found that I needed that strap on my horses though.

Myrna

The reason I asked is I have the carriage harness from Ozark with the V breast collar and the pictures on their website show the neck strap going back to the water hook...I am so confused
default_sad.png

Renee

At the risk of torquing someone off, my guess is because they are marketing that harness as being able to suit all worlds. You will notice that the CDE show harness is not tacked up that way.

Thanks Myrna...that makes sense...I'll keep doing it the way I always have. Nice to have a forum to discuss driving.

Renee

Latest posts

Back