Questions for kitten lovers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We aren't as far from 'the world' maybe as you are, Chanda.

We're, 15 miles from almost decent shopping but because we're so far West, off freeways, the cost of things are way more

than if we go 35/40 miles East, to Olympia where the have the full smorgasbord of shopping.

That trip often in the winter isn't so much fun though, as in the warmer months, should it be one of 'those' winters.

Western Washington is nortoriously ill-prepared for winter.

It's the canned kitten food that is Max - The kibble is called 4 Life .... I was a bit spooked when Michael brought

that in as there was a recall with that brand, in dog food, not to long back. But the kitten/cat food wasn't included and many

of those recalls seem to originate in the south eastern plant and not shipped west.

We have a feral, 'don't you dare touch me', cat that was born at our old place, that we captured and brought down here, after the flood.

Michael feeds her whatever the sale cat food is, both kibble and canned and she is over 15 years old now, is very active and healthy.

When she was neutered the vets told us feral cats usually only live 3 years. Well 15 years later, she's still with us and she gets nothing

special other than chatting with her when she talks to us and not touching her, per her request....although she does come to her name.

She probably thinks we'll capture her, to go get neutered again....she, of her sisters, at 5 months was already pregnant. Naughty Charlotte.

We buy both canned and dry food for our cats, all ages. We don't raise kittens but have acquired plenty of strays over the years. I would keep offering him the formula for awhile yet, but let him drink from a bowl rather than giving him the bottle.

Some of our older cars still like milk; we do give theming if they want it, just plain cows milk, homogenized--they have no ill effects from it--they tolerate it much better in most cases than the experts tell us they will!

I consider Purina kitten food a junk food and will not buy it. Our cats get Fancy Feast dry (their favorite) Friskies dry and Whiskas. For canned food we buy Fancy Feast, sometimes Whiskas and sometimes the Friskies--FF is the favorite though. I don't bother buying actual kitten food.

Thanks I will keep those other brands in mind. At the rate he's eating kibble right now this current bag may last a lonnnng time LOL

I'm sure that will change as you can almost see him changing every day....doing and trying different things.

Yesterday he went outside for the first time and enjoyed it, wandered around crawled under a tree, batted at the trailing flowers.

I just realized this morning, when putting him down for his nap, that he's grown big enough that he does not fit in the length of my

forearm, anymore. Such a difference in a month.

Not as big as his best buddy Chevy but growing fast.

ChevPutter.jpg

That picture is too cute. And PUtter is just the cutest little kitty.

Whiskas makes a dry kitten food, I just bought a bag (part of my Walmart order, that finally arrived this morning), so far, it seems to be a hit.

I dont purchase my dog or cat food frmo the grocery stores or the buy the 'cheaper' foods. They all have horrible ingredients in them I just can't stomache that I would knowingly feed my pet. I feed natural or holistic foods like Blue Buffalo brand, Royal Canin, Solid Gold, Natural Balance... those type of foods. Actually both my cats and the dogs are on Blue Buffalo. They eat SO much less and omg, what a difference in their hair, weight, energy and just overall health. Purina on the scale of pet foods, rates an F if I remember correctly. Also believe it or not, some of those cheaper brands of pet foods STILL use ethoxyquin as one of their preservatives.

Ethoxyquin was developed by, who else- Monsanto. It is commonly used in fish meal, though it is probably not listed on the ingredients, so I dont buy any 'fish flavor' stuff either. I stick with the other meats.

And P.S. the preservatives are one thing, dont even get me started on rendered products!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww!! Look at his little pink nose and lips!!!!!

Truthfully I worked at a pet store for a long time and would always take on baby kittens for people. We Mixed the kitten milk with the soft food when super young then mixed the wet food with the hard stuff to kinda coat it. Then eventually they just ate the hard stuff. We had some really expensive cat foods there and they seemed to like it but..... they liked the cheep better(only used when a bag was ripped or need to be used up
default_yes.gif
). The expensive stuff seemed to agree better with them. I have a cat from that store that was brought up on Science Diet and him and my other cat are still on it. For us it works well. I know it's not the best but no complaints from them or me. (he came to me because he would chew threw ALL the different bags of food in the store! He was not picky!!! LOL!!)

Good luck with him! He's a doll!

ETA: her "cheep" cat food was still 9.99 for a 3lb bag!
default_new_shocked.gif
It's made by Nutri Source(sp?) and still had good content!

Such a cute little kitty you have there!

Jacks thunder--I have a cat that would do that too--chew through all the bags of cat food. My George could never live in a pet food store! He thinks it is his job to open every bag of cat food that comes into the house--he even opens dog food and sugar...

Such a cute little kitty you have there!

Jacks thunder--I have a cat that would do that too--chew through all the bags of cat food. My George could never live in a pet food store! He thinks it is his job to open every bag of cat food that comes into the house--he even opens dog food and sugar...
LOL!! Peanut will be happy to know he's not alone!! Yep he would chew through 49.99 bags of dog food too!!! I'd have to check every bag every day! Tape it up and sell it at a discount!! No sugar though... but I did have a cat that loved to eat mellon!! Any kind! LOL!! Crazy cats!!

HGFarm said:
. Also believe it or not, some of those cheaper brands of pet foods STILL use ethoxyquin as one of their preservatives.It is commonly used in fish meal, though it is probably not listed on the ingredients,
Laurie, ethoxyquin is an issue in dog food, too. There are quite a few of what one might consider upper end dog foods that will not respond to emails, asking if they have certificates that their food does not contain ethoxyquin. Kind of telling in itself, to me.

*Jack's* You have an orange and white kitty, too. Is he the one that eats thru the bags?

Is he considered tabby colored or is that only gray kitties?

Putter has some light stripes and has the ring tail but in the sun shine, he looks like he has leopard spots? He could be purple and we'd love him

but would like to speak intelligently when someone asks me his color and pattern.

Today Putter learned how to catch a mouse albeit, a faux fur one. He played with it for awile, we had it on a string and all of a sudden he pounced on

it and grabbed it string and all and ran away with it. When he came back with it he was tossing it around, catching it and growling. We were like, Wow!

Where'd that come from, so soon?

Today's photo: (I promise I will not send post one each week/we're just rather taken with this little smidgen of a kitty and he doesn't mind having his photo taken)

Putterframe6weeks.jpg

I do have an orange and white kitty! Peanut! And yep he's the bag chewer! I also have an orange kitty named Bosco. Sure you can have an orange tabby thats what Bosco is! I think Putter is from what I can see in his tail! (imo) I'm no expert by any means just have delt with alot of kitties!! LOL!!!
209.jpg

(Peanut looks like he has markings on his forehead but truthfully those are fat rolls!
default_whistling.gif
LOL!)

OMGosh Bosco looks like a huge Morris kitty.

That marking on Peanut's nose adds a heap of character to his face.

Ok so Putter is an orange and white tabby ..... easier to call him a pinto, though. LOL

Latest posts

Back