Questionable pregnant mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafpints

Reaction score
We have a 29" mare that I never had preg checked b/c I think she is too small for the vet to check. Last year she had a dwarf foal and the foal died after 2 days and I do not believe the foal ever nursed but we did milk her out a little to feed the foal. I was beginning to think she was not looking pregnant now, but I have been checking her udder anyway, just in case she still is pregnant. Well my question is there any reason she should have fluid in her udder if she isn't pregnant and going to foal she will be 340 days on April 11. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

April

Almost all of my mares (not maiden) have fluid in there udders even when not bred.

That said I am going thru the same thing with ravens pony who has very white milk - doesnt look bred really other then she has gotten GIGANTIC over the past month to the point I have cut her feed in half -the timing could be right for her to have been bred at her previous home- well home before the home where we got her from actually.

My gut says she is not but we are checking her daily for any changes. Raven is sure she is.. I keep telling her I dont think so dont want her to have any more disappointment this has already been a tough few months for her

Thank you, this little mare doesn't have much udder either so I really don't think she is pregnant, but I guess I kind of hope she is as I had 6 mares bred for this year and 2 have come up open. So I have been waiting for a foal since January which I know is an early foal in Michigan, but we tried. So I am still anxiously awaiting my first foal of the year. Thanks again -April

I had a mare last year (not a maiden) that we thought was preggo because she had some fluid coming from her udder and looked a little bit pregnant. Turns out it was nothing and she is now due to foal in July of this year. ~Anna~

I have a vet that can ultrasound really small mares if you are interested and she only charges $20 for the ultrasound which is super cheap and she does a fantastic job. Where are you in Michigan,April maybe I can help you work something out if you want. Jessica

Latest posts

Back