Question?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssshowhorses

Reaction score
I was wondering how "lacing" markings occur? Are babies born with it? or does it come later? I have a filly who was born black and I clipped her out yesterday and she has a faint white cresent shaped marking on her back. She has a half brother who has lacing and I am wondering if she will get it. Any info is apreciated!

Lacing usually develops with time - I've never seen one born with it personally. Most that are going to have it seem to start showing some by the time they are two and then it gradually progresses over time.

I think it depends on the horse as to when the lacing occurs. It usually doesn't start until around 5 years though (I think I've read that somewhere!). I have a mare that didn't get hers until she was 10. I don't believe horses are ever born with it, but perhaps it can start showing up as the foal sheds out? I'm not sure, would love to hear if others have had horses who developed lacing at an early age.

I have a black and white pinto with extensive lacing across her back. She is two years old now but I bought her at a year and three months old. Her lacing pattern has not changed with time. I suspect she was born with it but I can't say for sure.

I have seen lacing start when the foal shed it's baby coat and also not appear 'til the horse is a senior. It could also be a scar though as dark horses tend to scar white.

Our experience has been that the lacing begins at 3 to 4 months and continues to develop as the horse ages.

The belief is that it is genetic, so your filly could very well get it like her brother.

Do any of you have any suspicion that lacing *might* be somehow related to sabino? Seems a possibility to me, based upon my personal experiences. Just a thought...

I have never seen one born with it, and I do believe it is likely genetic.

Margo

Margo,

We have been a part of a couple of different research projects regarding Lacing, but so far nothing has been absolutely proven, BUT YES, it does seem to be genetic.........and from what is theorized (but not proven with DNA) it IS SABINO.

We were observing the same thing.

Thanks for the info, MA...good to hear that my observations and 'gut feeling' may have a solid basis!

Hope we will all hear about it when/if anything is actually proven.

Edited to add: I have a little mare right now who is solid sorrel(NOT silver bay), but has always had an extremely diffuse, 'roaned' star on her forehead, and 'some'clearly sabino roaning over her body. Every year(she is now 11), she appears a bit more 'roaned' over her body, and now, the faintest hint of lacing is showing up. Her face is ever more 'roaned', and the edges of her ears are downright white!

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
Brite Star my black minimal pinto got her lacing when she was 2 1/2. She does have a star and stripe down her face. Her dam is a full blown black and white loud pinto and her sire is Nick, minimal black pinto with no spots.

Baby Chrissy a chestnut got her lacing when she was 4, no sabino, she's solid. Boggles the mind.

MY colt also has laceing his started at around 8months i dont really like it

So does that mean he has the sabino colour would he produce colour foals

????????????????

2nbbxxy.jpg

Wow, this is all very fascinating! Amazing the variation in miniature horse colouring. I will have to wait and see if it develops into full out lacing. I may test her for the sabino gene too. Her sire has also sired tons of foals that have "sabinoish" roaning so I will not be suprised if she ends up with lacing. I might take a pic of her little marking and post it. Oh, and Margo my filly also has a very diffused star marking, I was suprised when I clipped her out that there was no whit skin under there as it is a good size.

It is definetly not a white marking from a cut or scar, I would have noticed if she had gotten a cut that long! Just have to wait and see.

lucky lodge, lacing and sabino are not related. Actually, lacing has not been found to be related to any sort of color or pattern as of yet. He might pass on lacing, but he won't pass on sabino or any other pinto/overo pattern

lucky lodge, lacing and sabino are not related. Actually, lacing has not been found to be related to any sort of color or pattern as of yet. He might pass on lacing, but he won't pass on sabino or any other pinto/overo pattern

saludando.gif
OH begger

Latest posts

Back