Question Regarding Hyperlipidemia and Breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamk

Reaction score
Hi. I posted a few days ago about a mare I recently purchased that was picking at her feed and not drinking very much water, lethargic, etc. She was HEAVY in foal...her diagnoses was hyperlipidemia. She was on IV's and intensive care for a couple of days, now she is doing much better (she did loose the foal, who was born weak and jaundiced too).

Who here has been in this situation and bred the mare again??? I am just wondering about the future of this mare for breeding (she has in the past had several foals without problems, she is 10 years old)...my vet says if she is recovered, she should be OK as long as I keep her eating and her stress level low at the end of her pregnancy....If you bred your mare back, did they do OK??? Did you give her a year off, or breed her back after she was "recovered" from hyperlipidemia?? Did she ever come down with hyperlipidemia again???

Thanks for any answers you can provide, Pam

i do know of mares that went on after having this to have normal pregnacies but you do have to watch them like a hawk. if she was my mare i would probably give her a year off and get her weight stable and get her in really good physical condition. Then rebreed next year. Some mares get this because they are way overweight when they get in foal. Some get it because they are way underweight. Some due to stress.

Latest posts

Back