Question Regarding a Bad Winter with Snow

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnybunny

Reaction score
This has been a bitter winter for many people up North with lots of heavy snow.

I'm in the Southwest where it is warm nearly all year. I cannot imagine that much snow and keeping horses in the snow.

I know that some people do not have stall space for all their horses and some horses are outside in the snow with run-in sheds for protection and shelter.

Since hooves are warm to the touch, how does it affect the hooves to stand in snow, get snowballs and ice caught in the sole of the hoof and generally how you deal with that?

Do horses have a mechanism in their feet to protect them from some sort of frostbite or injury?

Sorry for this ignorant question
default_wacko.png
, but I was just wondering how horses in the snow deal with standing in the snow in the severe cold.

Pardon me for taking up your time with my question.

Well, this has been a really bad winter here in Connecticut, but I have to admit I haven't worried about everything you mention here!

I have three minis and a big horse that are out 24/7 (not together), and the other 4 minis are out all day in any weather because they have plenty of shelter. The worst thing about the snow (in my experience) is that it balls up in the hooves and makes it hard to walk. My big horse has pads and studs on his shoes, so he gets around fine, but some of the minis do have trouble. The feet on one mini got pretty long between trims and she had the worst trouble. I try to pick out the snow as soon as it balls up. I honestly do not worry about the cold on their feet!

Our biggest problem has been the ice that forms within a few days of every storm. Our turnouts have been ice-covered since before Christmas. I get my exercise covering the ice with used bedding, which works quite well at providing traction. (We seprate poop from bedding). Then I chop the ice up on warmer days, but I haven't even seen bare spots in the turnout. Of course. covering the ice with bedding means that there is still ice under there and will be for weeks more. The minis are very good about making and using paths too. The only time they get to run is right after a snowstorm when I turn them out in a bigger pasture and they can run in the snow before it turns icy. Can you tell we are all looking forward to spring?

I live in Northwestern, Ontario...basically central Canada. We get lots of snow and cold each winter, and my scenario is prettymuch the same as targetsmom. My horses are out in the pasture 24/7 and yes, they do get balls on the bottoms of their hooves. I have given up on trying to keep them picked out, as they get frozen so hard in there, and if you do manage to get most picked out, it is the same thng the next day. They get along just fine. Yes, they do look a little uncomfortable at times, but they deal with it and I have learned to stop worring about it so much over the years.

Oh boy, we had alot of snow this year, too. Mine get stalled at night and they do come in with snowballs on their soles sometimes. I think it depends on the temps if they will form or not. The snowballs will fall off eventually, but I try to remove the worst ones before i head back to the house. I have heard of spraying the hoof soles with Pam to keep the snow from sticking......I still haven't tried it, but maybe someone else here can comment on that idea. Seems like it would work well. Horses hooves are made to endure the elements, so the "cold" doesn't bother them.

And remember: no question is ignorant on here, we are all here to learn
default_smile.png

Thanks for your answers. Here we have to guard against sunburn, overheating, make sure there is enough shade, plenty of water etc. I have no idea of how to care for horses in extreme cold.

Our minis grow long coats here, so I'll bet they are really shaggy up North.

I still don't understand if horses can get frostbite on their legs and hooves since there is a lot of living tissue in the hoof. The horny outerpart of the hoof is not all that thick. Wonder how those feet stay protected?

As long as horses have enough room to move around they keep the blood flowing in their feet and stay warm. Actually cold, to a certain extent, is good for their feet and protects them from foundering. One way to keep the snow from packing in their feet is to smear the soles with grease. Pam doesn't last long!

As for frostbite, we get PLENTY of -40 days here throughout our winters, and I have never had a problem with frostbite. They have such long hair, even on their legs, they are very well protected. Just think of the wild animals that live in the same area...fox, wolves, coyotes, deer, moose etc. They too have to live out in this year round, and they survive...Mother Nature does a pretty good job overall, of making sure her babies stay warm enough in their natural state, and natural surroundings.
default_yes.gif
Of all my years of owning Miniatures, I *THINK* I may have had one...a yearling filly, get the tip of her ear frostbitten, as I noticed one little bead of blood on the very tip during a cold spell. Not sure if that is what it was or not...just speculating.

Latest posts

Back