First time mini horse owner :) Winter is coming...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only feed grass hay, I feed free choice when the weather is real bad. Alfalfa mix of any kind is like "crack hay" for my piggies and they get too hyper and food aggressive on alfalfa. I use "barn dri" as an anti slip agent. Works wonders. You can throw it on glare ice and walk on it right away. I keep a tub at the house and throw it in front of my feet when I walk on ice. I dust around the paddocks when it is slippery out. Good for doggies and yard too. We use for our dairy cows. Cant beat the stuff and it is very cheap. Not sure if it is a local product. Martins barn dri Love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, there
default_smile.png

I have only read your intitial post.

Yep, I think your minis will do perfectly fine with a bedded run in shelter. That is how all of ours live, for many years, with great health and happiness
default_yes.gif

For feeding, you will need to provide more than the pasture this fall and winter, imo. I think you would do well with a soft (leafy) orchard grass which should be available readily there, and a "grain" that is a complete pellet. If they are all adults, I would opt for a low-carb / low-starch / low-sugar one if available. If not, then a general adult complete pellet as most minis get TOO MUCH out of a senior feed if they are not in need of weight or growing.

If you have periods of heavy snow or extra cold temperatures, horses generate body heat by digesting hay. We have always given extra hay to our hoofed wonders when the weather is real snowy or extra cold.

When (not if!) it gets icy, we cover the ice with used bedding, after we shake out the manure. It is even cheaper than cheap, but we store it in tubs in the barn, not the house - LOL! This is also when it helps to have a smaller "sacrifice area" so there is less ice to worry about or cover.

Beet pulp is what is left over after they extract sugar from sugar beets. It is another form of forage, like pasture, hay, and alfalfa cubes. It comes in several forms, like pellets and shreds. It can be fed instead of hay to horses that are allergic to hay or have respiratory issues. It is often added to show horse's feed, by soaking it first and adding it to the grain just before feeding. Some grains have beet pulp in them. I use the shreds - soak it 20-30 minutes before dinner feeding, then save the leftover (at room temp) until the next morning feeding. It is another way to get water into them. It comes in plain or molasses and I use the plain version (which not all horses like) because one of our minis is insulin resistant and shouldn't have much sugar. Once they develop a taste for it, all of ours like it, even plain.

I tried hay nets and my guys pulled them down and pawed them so I had an amish neighbor make me a special feeder for my guys. When it is too awful out I throw the hay in the run in shed behind the wall. I oogle the busy snackers but haven't tried one yet. Will try to get Kim crayonbox to post the photos for me. I laughed out loud when I looked at them today so will try to share with you. Stay tuned...
We get really cold weather here, so we are trying to find ways to feed our minis without having to go out every morning and night! We get frostbite in less than 5 minutes up here, so we really have to dress warm!

I tried hay nets and my guys pulled them down and pawed them so I had an amish neighbor make me a special feeder for my guys. When it is too awful out I throw the hay in the run in shed behind the wall. I oogle the busy snackers but haven't tried one yet. Will try to get Kim crayonbox to post the photos for me. I laughed out loud when I looked at them today so will try to share with you. Stay tuned...
We get really cold weather here, so we are trying to find ways to feed our minis without having to go out every morning and night! We get frostbite in less than 5 minutes up here, so we really have to dress warm!

Latest posts

Back