Question on pre-employment procedures...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareng

Reaction score
I was offered a job contingent on several checks - background, driving and credit. It does deal quite a bit with financial issues. We don't have perfect credit. What exactly do they check? We have a mortgage and have 2 car loans which we obtained fine. We do have some credit card debt which is one of the main reasons I'm going back to work. Anyone else applied for a job that required a credit check? I'm just not sure what to expect because I don't know what they consider acceptable.....

Thanks,

Karen

Last edited by a moderator:
Most employers are now doing this. This is why its a good reason to always check your credit and make sure there are no mistakes on it.

I think mostly they are looking to see that you pay your bills and have no delinquent items, bankruptcy etc

I do think its all going way too far but what can you do?

Kay

Yes my daughter is applying for part time jobs at the mall.I was really shocked and annoyed that they do this!Doesn't feel right to me.

When I first got into the securities (investments, not like protection) industry, I had a background check and finger printing though that was over 12 years ago and I don't know how involved it was. But, in 2003, I changed my Broker / Dealer and was again background checked, finger printed, etc. I'm bonded and insured, and always have been, and I know at least in 2003 the check would have been fairly in depth. There's just so much room for someone in my line of work to do the wrong thing for personal profit, so I fully understand "why".

My employees are just administrative staff. However, they also are checked out by my broker / dealer with back ground and credit checks, and are finger printed. There have been no problems, however, I did have an assistant who has since left us (on good terms) and she was really worried when she found out she had to be finger printed and credit checked because she and her husband had some financial problems due to a health situation. They didn't have good credit but in her case, that was not an issue and she had no trouble with the back ground check.

Good luck!

I can see doing credit checks if you are in the field of finance due to embesselment but they are doing it for other jobs and basing your car insurance on it and I think it is getting to the point of invasion of privacy.

I can see doing credit checks if you are in the field of finance due to embesselment but they are doing it for other jobs and basing your car insurance on it and I think it is getting to the point of invasion of privacy.
I agree 100%

I know in law inforcement they rely heavily on back ground checks that include credit, driving and insurance records. mostly there looking to see if you are the type that thinks you are above the law. do you take advantage of every loophole, or are you a rule follower. the driving record is very telling of how people view themselfs and the laws. computors have just made it so much easier to access this info and use it to compare potential employees. a few late payments should not cause any red flags but a charge of ins fraued, or a long list of traffic infractions may. a bankruptsy may not red flag you if you had a good cause, but it may if you ran out and bought all new cars and furniture just before it. I dont have perfect credit, driving record, or legal background but Ive never had problems passing a background check, because none of it adds up to any abuse. DR.

Would you all believe that I worked at Motherhood Maternity and they did a credit check??? I thought that was wacko..But oh well what can you do. I am thinking they have to do it since everyone that works in that store is a key holder and safe accesser...

It's pretty run of the mill these days.

My understanding is all they're looking for is making sure your house is in order. Makes sense to me- would you hire someone to do financial-type work for you if they had tons of late payments, collections, a bankruptcy ect? I know I wouldn't.

I think here in TX they're required if the job pays over $75K a year or something like that.

In some cases it is a point of reference should any future issues arise at the job site......and insurance companies can (and do) refuse to cover you with some credit issues, esp homeowners, etc.

Latest posts

Back