Question on mares bags?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShashwatAcres

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a mare produce a bag that wasnt bred ? Gracie has be puzzled lol, I have had several mares and never seen this before. So I took this picture yesterday afternoon I have no idea whats going on. I have already talked to Shawna about this and she suggested I post here and see if anyone has had a mare produce a bag that wasnt bred. I do have a call into our vet to come out and check her and pull blood to check since we are all questioning this lol
default_unsure.png

DCFC0007.jpg
default_unsure.png

We had mares that did that. It's not really a bag, could just be some excess fluid built up there or fatty deposits. Our mares that usually did this were either older mares that had had several foals or ones that were a bit overweight. From the angle of your picture, it doesn't look like your mare is overweight though. We had one mare that had a bag that was at least that big or bigger 365 days a year whether she was bred or not. You may even be able to get some milky to clear fluid out if you try to milk her. I wouldn't worry about it though unless there's a chance she may have gotten bred late.
default_biggrin.png

I know we did NOT breed her. Not to say she couldn't have taken care of business on her own...
default_unsure.png
....Grace was retired from the broodbarn because she can not deliver on her own. The foals have to be assisted every single time. It wasn't worth the risk to her or a foal to try to get another "cute little baby".

Many mares get those especially if they have foaled previously. Some call it Witches milk because its not real milk. Also I see mares do that when they are on grass pasture

Well the vet can not come out for a couple of days so we shall just see, Oh I know you didnt breed her Shawna, this girl is just something else and we just love her
default_wub.png
kinda sad I notice every little thing she does thats not normal for her
default_rolleyes.gif

Have a good day everyone

Becky

Latest posts

Back