Question on Heigth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KW

Reaction score
I have a 8 mo. old colt that is about 23 to 24 in tall. How tall do you think he might get? I didn't measure his cannon bone when he was born. Thanks

Sorry for the spelling of height hand was ahead of the mind or the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to a height chart I found on the net for minis, an 8 month old measuring out around 24" will mature around 28" give or take an inch... I just found the chart this year, so have no idea how accurate it is, so will be interesting to see if it is accurate when my foals arrive... I know my one filly currently is 9 months old and only measures out around 24-25", and according to the chart will be 28-29" tall come maturity, and her sire's foals have never exceeded 30". Her dam was 33". How tall was his sire and dam?

According to the mini horse height chart, you're colt will probably mature around 28" or under. I think that you may want to re measure, though, because this seems small to me, and accroding to the chart. The link for the chart is

http://www.havencroftminis.com/height%20chart.htm

I've found it to be very accurate according to my minis. Hope this helps
default_smile.png

The height chart mentioned is on our website, and I just wanted to be sure that everyone understands that it should be used as a "guide" only. It has been accurate and helpful lots of times however for example we purchased a 33.75 inch yearling filly because we were hoping for a "B" mare. That girl hasn't grown at all and is coming three this spring. The chart would have shown her easily being a B.

Some grow quickly that first year and stop, and then some go slower.

I like the chart and hope it helps some people but please don't think it is 100% just as anything else is not always 100% perfect.

Use it as a guide and it should get you "close" most of the time. :bgrin

Anne

His sire is 31.50 and his dam is 30.0 but he has a grandsire that is only 27.5 and a great grandsire that is

only 26.75. His sire side has taller horses. He also has a full sister that is about 3 years old that is only around

28 in. He is the smallest foal we have ever had. I can still pick him up and he was born in May. Here is a photo of him next to his dam . He has shed off his baby hair and has black on his legs and darker and really looks now like a bay.

100_0395.JPG

Is there a chart that expands for the taller horses? dionne

Back