Question on gelding an older stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Reaction score
My mom has an appointment tomorrow to have her 15 year old stallion gelded. I imagine since he is older it will be a bit harder on him than if he were younger. What are concerns or problems to watch out for with an older stallion?

He will be fine. Follow your vets recommendations and keep in touch with them if you have any concerns come up.

I gelded my older Appendix QH stallion, and he did very well. I left him separated from other horses for about a month, then eventually he was able to go out with our big mixed herd and be a regular horse. Don't know if every one of them adapts as well as he did, but he was a wonderful gelding.

Older do tend to have a harder time with the swelling so be sure he gets plenty of exercise to keep the swelling down.

We had ours done when he was 12. He did great. He did have a little bit of swelling, but we let him in a pen next to the pasture where the mares were and he moved enough to get it down. He adapted well and was out with the mares and geldings about 4 or 5 weeks after gelding. At first, he tried to keep "his" girls in a tight little corner, but soon got past that and now he is just one of the crowd.

Thank you guys. That makes me feel a bit better. Will make sure he gets plenty of exercise.

Don't give it a second thought. When I threw the towel in on breeding (couldn't deal with the selling end of it) I gelded my senior boy. He deserves to live out his days with a companion, but not as a stud,NO MORE FOALS was my motto! He did fine, swelled more than the younger boys but he was very, umm, filled out in that area, we'll say. He was older than the stud you are talking about too. He recovered great, his attitude is awesome, and he hangs out with a mare mini mare I kept. No regrets at all.

Latest posts

Back