Question on ASPC registration

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Field-of-Dreams

Reaction score
OK, I've never had any trouble getting a horse registered... till now.

I got the ASPC filly in July and just sent her papers away two weeks ago. Now, I just got them back saying her breeder needs to be an active member before the filly can be registered! Now, I always thought that whoever sent in the paperwork had to be a member... am I reading this wrong? I feel bad if this girl has to renew her membership this late in the year so I can register the filly, as they are getting out of ponies completely. And honestly, if I could afford it I'd just renew for her, but $$ is so tight right now....

Any ideas?

Lucy

Wish I could help. I have always been okay with registering with my own membership number. Your situation is a new one for me.

Ma---

Unfortunately on Page 39 of our rule book it states Must be a member to do registry work:

Part 2 Section C

3. Eligibility to do Registry work.

So you will have to spend the money to get the pony registered.

Trace--that membership requirement usually applies to the person who is sending in the paperwork. Lucy has her membership & I would have thought that was good enough--never before have I heard anyone say that they've had to get a membership for the breeder before they could register a horse they've just purchased....

Lucy--I'd call ASPC & question that one--perhaps it's just an error on the part of whomever wrote up the rejection slip for you--someone else may tell you differently.

Its not an error, they require the person who owned the mare at the time of foaling to be a member because technically they are doing business with the association since they are the original owner and will have to register and transfer the foal. Been there, been told that.

Also if you buy a double registered horse, AMHR/ASPC and you have no plans to show shetland at all, you still have to transfer both sets of papers before they do any of them. You can't do just the part of the registry that you will be using.

Think of it this way. Even if you send the registration paper in it has to be filled out and signed by the breeder. So the breeder is the one requesting the work. You cannot register a foal you didnt breed. Only the breeder can. Hope that makes sense

Its not an error, they require the person who owned the mare at the time of foaling to be a member because technically they are doing business with the association since they are the original owner and will have to register and transfer the foal. Been there, been told that.
Also if you buy a double registered horse, AMHR/ASPC and you have no plans to show shetland at all, you still have to transfer both sets of papers before they do any of them. You can't do just the part of the registry that you will be using.

Bummer, that s*****. I really didn't want to ask them to join if they didn't have to. *sigh*

She's only pony, so that's cool. We do have four other Mini/Ponies that did take double paperwork to get transfered and stuff...

Lucy

To be honest, she should have already registered the filly, but since she is getting out, I am betting there are other horses that can't be registered until she is a member. If you can wait until later in the year, say Nov or Dec, to register the filly, she can rejoin then and it will also carry her through next year if she has other horses for sale.

How old is the filly? Because in ASPC they have to be registered by December 31st of their yearling year, or else DNA will have to be done to register her. If she is a yearling now I would be careful as not to miss the registration deadline for the ASPC.

She's only 6 months old. However, I would like to be able to show her at Glen Rose and Corsicana this fall... *sigh*'

I emailed her people, so we'll see.

To be honest, she should have already registered the filly, but since she is getting out, I am betting there are other horses that can't be registered until she is a member. If you can wait until later in the year, say Nov or Dec, to register the filly, she can rejoin then and it will also carry her through next year if she has other horses for sale.
No, she only owned the dam, co-owned the sire and one gelding.

Lucy

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back