question on a medicine called naxel

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doffy

Reaction score
does anyone happen to know what a medicine called naxel is used for? i am just curious as i was cleaning out the medicine cabinet at the ranch after my husband passed on and was wondering if this is something i should keep. I can check with my vet in the morning also, but i had just never heard of this and thought someone else might have.

Naxel is an antibiotic & used for infections such as pneumonia, etc.

If it's not frozen or in powder form, I would throw it out. Once diluted it loses it potency over a period of about 10 - 14 days. So if it has been diluted (not in powder form) I'd get rid of it. It would be much to old by now to have any value left.

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be an expiration date on the bottle and hopefully it is still powder. If it is liquid it is no good. Naxel is a wonderful drug used by giving 5-7 once a day shots. Used mostly for respiratory problems. Should be dispensed by a vet and it's use advised by one. I keep it on hand just in case. If mixed it can be dosed into syringes in the proper amounts and the frozen for up to 6 mos.

"I am not a vet but this is the info I have been givine by several".

Naxel is one of the more powerful antibiotics that vets will dispense. As posted above, it comes in powder form in a vial with an accompanying vial of saline water to add to it. Once it is mixed together with the water, it's shelf life is limitted to 7 to 14 days and should be thrown out.

If it is still powder in a vial, you should save it. It is very expensive stuff! You can always get the saline from the vet. And only give it to a very very sick horse with a vet's "okay".......

MA

Actually -- it has an EXTREMELY long shelf life.....if you freeze it after liquifying it. With the advice of my vet - I froze it. If you slowly thaw it (do NOT microwave!!!) and if it is a pale gold color like weak apple juice and clear - it is still good. If it hasn't been frozen - THROW IT AWAY because it could be dangerous to use.

This is an antibiotic that my vet called "the big guns." We use it only when there is a raging infection that needs more than penicillin (used it for a bad dystocia that ended up with a horrible infection).

As with any other strong antibiotic, I recommend you make sure your horse's gutt is protected with GastroGuard or something similar so that it doesn't get ulcers.

new_shocked.gif

Funny you should mention this particular drug. My mare who was deathly sick

was given this and it worked great on her. However, on another note, I also

have a paint gelding that was being used by a friend and her vet insisted my horse

had pneumonia and wanted to treat him with naxel and told me it would be $100

a shot [yes, you heard right $100]. We refused and I brought him home and my

vet examined him and HE NEVER HAD PNEUMONIA! His throat was a little sore

from her tubing him and that was it. It is a great drug used on the right horse in

the right manner! Linda B

Latest posts

Back