Question of color??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say with absolutely certainty, but with that stripe down his back, he sure looks red dun to me.

Looks like a very pretty silver bay, and silver would give you the striped hooves. The dorsal looks like countershading to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since he has one dun parent, my guess is dun, but the nest question is what color of dun? you may need to wait until he gets a little older. I have had several duns and they vary in color from red to bay to grulla, so my bet would be on red dun with dark legs since now they are light and ten to darken with age.

Looks like a very pretty silver bay, and silver would give you the striped hooves. The dorsal looks like countershading to me.
Would counter shading go down the tail too? I know that Appy and pinto also get the stripped hooves. The dad has them and he also has white socks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it can. Appy could be effecting the hooves as well, as you mentioned, but I am definitely seeing silver. You mentioned the sire was a chocolate color so I am thinking he might be a silver of some sort (silver is very prevalent in mini apps). You'll know more when your cute little guy is older and starts to shed
default_smile.png
They always have nice surprises under the foal fuzz!

is the sire yours, so you can share a pic of him? [if not yours, then can you get permission from his owner to share a pic.]

The body looks so red to be silver bay dun. I know the shades can vary from pretty light to pretty dark, but I just don't think I see silver.

Here is my silver bay dun (baby pic first and then last year with her grullo colt):

tana - pic for color.jpg

Tana and foal - june 23, 2012 - dorsal.jpg

She color tested EE, Aa, no cream (silver wasn't available at the time, nor was dun); her dam was dunskin, sire silver leopard appy (registered as white leopard appy).

I don't think there is dun at all, I think he is just silver bay. I had a filly born a few years ago that was a chestnut pinto at birth-bright red. Her sire was our chestnut pinto Wardance son and her dam was a bay pinto so didn't second guess anything. Then I clipped her and noticed she had the odd silver cast to her, though you can still see she was very red.

Sire is a nice looking boy; I'd say he's a bay pintaloosa (more likely seal brown pintaloosa), I don't see any silver on him. I don't know my appy patterns well enough to even hazard a guess, but he does look like he might be varnish roan (along with something else plus pinto of some sort).

So, unless mare is hiding silver (silver doesn't show on red base, but they can carry it); I still say baby is red dun.

I'm not good with colors, I just wanted to say he is even more handsome than the day he was born. What a good looking Pappa.

His color remind me a lot of our red run foal that we had born in a few years ago. I think it's a gorgeous color and he looks like a palomino all year round, with a pretty red stripe down his back.

Wouldn't a dun factor with flaxen mane and tail be a dunalino? Otherwise, is the foal a sorrel with flaxen mane and tail?

No, a Red Dun with a flaxen mane and tail is just that, a Dunalino has Cream.

I think the foal, form the pictures given, is Silver Bay- I would like to see pictures in a weeks time, though. No reason at all why the Silver cannot have come form Mama.

I do not see Red Dun....

Latest posts

Back