Question for you

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfogg

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a dog. I would need a small dog with hair not fur. Bichon, poodle etc.

However I am gone to work all day and I feel like it would not be fair to the dog. Maybe I should get 2 .....I would like an older dog,would not consider a puppy.

What do you all think fair not fair?

default_wub.png

Bonnie

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, Bonnie, that would be just what you need. When I had to put Duane in the nursing home it took almost a year but I got my Daisy May and have never regretted it. She is my life, my love, my all. She is a year old today. But I am home all the time, so she is not alone. We do have another dog so if I have to go like in summer and it is really hot she has to stay home. Otherwise she is my shadow. She goes everywhere with me. But I'm thinking 2 older dogs that are compatible would be great for you. There are so many dogs that need a loving home that you can provide for them. Keep us posted on what you do. I'm so sorry about Larry . It must be so hard but a loving companion can help you a lot. Take care. (((((Hugs &
default_wub.png
)))))

First of all, let me say, I am sorry to hear about Larry, but glad to hear he is a peace.

A lot of dogs do well alone, others do not. Mine has a cat to torment during the day The cat has a dog to torment, and believe me, some days they tear the house apart. Tess is seldom home with out a human even if the human is sleeping. We work strange shifts around here.

When deciding on a dog find one that is happy with time alone. A older dog is already more settled the a puppy. If there is any history on the dog you maybe be able to find it the dog does well alone. Often you can find two older dogs that have been together and would not do well separated.

If in doubt ask the dog.

That is a wonderful idea, Bonnie........A cat is more independent, but it has FUR. A small poodle or terrier (mix) would be a good one, as those breeds have hair, not fur.

YOU know how it goes.......The right dog will speak to YOU.
default_wink.png

Bonnie,

I think that there are so many dogs in desperate need in our world - so - fair to give them a loving home, even if they'll have to be alone quite a bit - absolutely!

Maybe find one in foster care (one OR two!) that would be a good fit for your lifestyle. Or even a retired show dog (or 2!) from a GOOD breeder, those can make for really wonderful pets.

Keep us posted!

A Toto doggie! Do Carin (spelling)Terriers have hair or fur?

I really like those little terrier doggies!

My chihuahua was the mom on a puppy farm. Guy was selling her pretty cheap. She bit my husband when we went to look at her and I just had to have her (not becuase she bit hubby, but just becuase). She wouldn't let anyone but me touch her, but now she's a really sweet dog anyone can pet. She has hip displasia (sp?) and idopathic epilepsy (unknown seizures). I think she's around 8 or 9. I don't think she'll live much longer with her problems, but I got her when she was 3. So even that short amount of time has made a huge difference in her life and I'm glad I could give it to her.
default_wub.png

I would look around maybe at the local pounds or humane societies. Those dogs are just waiting for someone to love!
default_wub.png

I am thinking of getting a dog. I would need a small dog with hair not fur. Bichon, poodle etc.However I am gone to work all day and I feel like it would not be fair to the dog. Maybe I should get 2 .....I would like an older dog,would not consider a puppy.

What do you all think fair not fair?

default_wub.png

Bonnie
Poodles are excellent dogs. I used to raise them. See if any of the shelters have a few dogs that came together also. Find a rescue and get one that way also. Good luck dogs are a wonderful addition to any family. We just had one of our dogs run away 2 days ago and not sure if she's okay of not.

Christy

Check PetFinder.com for rescues. Some older dogs may not mind staying home for hours alone, or with another dog. Most dogs spend at least 8 hours home alone while their family is at work or school, etc. Just be sure that you have the time when you ARE home to devote to your dog. Your dog(s) will likely require daily walks and training to keep physically and mentally stimulated, as well as the snuggles most owners are ready to provide. Even with older, well-exercised and trained dogs you may find yourself dealing with behavioral problems stemming from boredom or separation anxiety (including barking, digging, chewing, inappropriate elimination, etc.). So long as you are up for the challenges and cost as well as the rewards of dog ownership, I say go for it and adopt the dog(s) who best fit in with your lifestyle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonnie --

I think that is a very good idea! We have shih-tzu's and they're my best friends. Especially "Winston". They do not shed and are very loyal but not high energy which I like. They have this way of prancing that cracks me up. They think A LOT of themselves
default_wub.png

Jill

Bonnie, I think this is just what the doctor has ordered for you! A puppy brings you so much joy but an older dog is great too and I'm sure theirs alot of them that need homes. I agree that you could possibly find two that need to stay together too, what a nice home you could offer! But many people leave pups alone for 8 hours a day and they seem to be ok and learn to except this, just give toys and change them around frequently. I know you'll find a perfect companion for yourself, good luck.

It would be wonderful for you and the dog(s)........you only need to have a conversation with them to let them know the schedule.
default_wub.png
PLUS, the exercise walks would be great for you and the dogs. Maybe you have a yard and are able to provide access with a doggie door? I've never used one but my dogs have done well with my working. Do it!! You will love the snuggles...getting & giving.

Speaking of the access doors -- a cute, true story.

Some friends had several larger dogs, older & from rescues originally. Both worked, so they had an access door into their home, at their farm. Local animal control calls them one day and says they have a goat that no one claims, would they take it. Ok, why not?! Goat is young, becomes great friends with dogs. About a month into the adoption, they come home and find the goat inside with the dogs, all 4 animals curled up on the rug sleeping
default_wub.png
default_laugh.png
Goat was then banned to own pen vice the dog yard.

Hi Bon,

We have had lots of different dogs, my favorite was a Rat Terrier. I like the idea of 2 small dogs, they do keep each other company. Barnie is a little lost and seems more insecure since we lost Pebbles. If you could, you might conside just going to a shelter and walking by and see which speaks to you and your heart.

Good luck, glad you are gonna get some 'animal lovin.'

Pam

Dear Bonnie

I think a dog or two are just what the dr. ordered. You will know the right one (or two) when you find them. ((((Hugs)))) my friend.

I just went through this with my step son. He adopts a dog in need, then goes to work all day long and left the dog all alone in a new strange place. It was not fair and the poor dog was a wreck by the time he got home. It was a family dog and he was not used to being left alone at all. So he goes out and gets another dog to keep the first dog company. They were compatible as long as he was home but soon as he left, a war broke out. He had to give them both back. Now he has a cat and a bird that talks and that works out better for him. Bonnie I would say to you to go very slowly in choosing your new friend. The right dog is out there somewhere for you, but it is going to take time finding one that fits your criteria. With all the holidays coming up, you will have lots of time and days off, plus snow days to get your new dog used to the routine. I would definately go with an older dog for this job. Go for it Bon.

Hi Bonnie,

default_saludando.gif

How about a hairless Cat "Sphynx" cats are so much like dogs that you will think it is one. Actually they are dog like monkey like..... They give so much love and always want to be right with you..... you sometimes have to actually have to push them away! ;) This breed is not a normal cat..... I personally like the male cats the best, females tend to be so moody... If you would like to come over and see my 7 Special Sphynx my doors are open to you for a visit! I don't breed anymore but still know a few people that do.

Once you meet them you will want to bring one home....

default_wub.png
I can't part with any of mine as they are all my little children.
default_wub.png

Bonnie, they are there waiting for you. Just listen for them.... you will find them. They have been together already, family unable to care for them... somewhere..... listen.

Lyn

I think it's a great idea!! I don't know if you have a yard or if they will be "indoor" dogs. I have Cairn Terriers and love them to pieces!!!
default_wub.png
They don't shed but do have an undercoat that comes out some when you brush them. They are "active at times" dogs but otherwise are content to hang out with me. The "mama dog" Cami comes to horse shows with me and is the perfect companion. Everyone loves her. I do think they do better with access to a yard where they can romp and play. There are other dogs that are more "apartment" type. I think Poodles and Bichon's both fit that category.

I think that you of all people will be able to sense what dog is for you. I also think if you're gone for long periods of time that 2 dogs would be better. We are sometimes gone all day as we work 12 hour shifts. Good luck with your hunt....and take your time!!
default_smile.png

Hi Bonnie,

I have a Chinese Crested Hairless dog, she is a wonderful pet. Also poodles are good for allergic people. Here's a picture of her when she was expecting.

adayonthefarm006.jpg

default_wub.png
:wub

Thanks to all of you!

I am taking my time and not rushing into anything right now.

So many decisions to make right now.

Yesterday was a good day only thought of him about 50 times.....

Love

Bonnie

Latest posts

Back