Question for you experienced breeders.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nichcole

Reaction score
Sorry it is long but I want to make sure i'm doing things right.............

I'm new to breeding and i'm looking for some more advice on top of what I have aready got.

So here is the story I breed my mare On June 6th -June 9th and then she was out of heat. It was the stallions first time breeding ever and the mare was a old pro. She actually got irritated that he was nuzzleing her and talking to her( I did not want a wild stallion so he was taught manners), she swung her butt into him and almost knocked him over...(We were all laughing so hard). She stood perfectly still when I breed her, no kicking squeling nothing.

On June 27th I started to tease her agian and she was acting like she was coming in to heat (winking mostly) but she would try to kick at the stallion so I took him away thinking she is not ready yet. I teased her agian on the 28th and she was not to interested in him but if he came near she would do her winking thing and squeal at him. He was not at all interested in breeding her at all. I though something was wrong with him so I took him out the the other horse and he dropped and was ready to breed.

After talking with two friends (both have been breeding for many years one is who I brought the mare from ) one said they think she is in foal and the other said she is not in full heat yet. I decided to let the my mare and stallion staying the same pasture because he is very courtous to the mare. The mare has always been pasture breed and lived with a stallion except when she had a foal at her side plus I was there watching every move they made. They do not seem to be interested in anything but grazing and running around. They eat thier hay side by side and are attached at the hip....

Does it sound like she took and is foal? Please give me your opinons and advice.

In my experience, some mares will give subtle signs of heat around 15 days after breeding, but will not let the stallion actually breed them. It is a good sign that she is bred.

Doesn't sound like she was in "standing heat" the second time around. It would be worth your while to have her vet checked, IMO.

MA

Mini V you should recognize the stallion
default_smile.png

I have an appt with my vet in about a month!!! I'm on pins and needle, I hoping she is in foal, I can't wait to see what I get.

I already have someone who wants to buy the baby, they don't care what it is. They just love my stallion and my mare. i keep telling them that I don't know if I can part with my first baby:)

This is the stallion :

H_6786.jpg

H_6787.jpg

This is the mare:

H_6788.jpg

How soon is to soon to ultrasound? I can't get ahold of my vet today...

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL!!!! :eek: I didn't see that it was Miguel's MOM posting!!! I'm so sorry.

Larry just read the thread and told me that he suspects she is in foal. From what you describe, it's been plenty long enough to have her ultra-sounded, just to be sure. If I were in Reno, I'd bet Larry is right. :bgrin

MA

If you can ultrasound around 21 days you will be able to see an embrio.

Any earlier than that and you just see a black sac.

Yeah, I hope she is:) My vet is a reproduction spec. so she is very hard to get out.. Hopefully I can get her out sooner then a month!!!

Latest posts

Back