Question for those who use daily dewormer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzmoe

Reaction score
After reading some good results from a lot of people who use the daily dewormer, I have decided to start my guys on it. I have taken a couple of before pics of everyone and written down the day when i started it. They eagerly look forward to it and eat it down with gusto lol. Right now they are not getting any grain and will not for a few weeks. They have gone through the summer with no grain and just free choice tifton hay so I am not in a hurry to start graining them. I am wanting to see what the difference is with this just one change first. My question is this to those that have feed it. How soon did you start noticing a difference with feeding it? Were there any other feed changes you made at the time that could account for it? It hasn't even been a week yet for mine and my one mare that has an underbite and has always been a slower not as much of a hay piggy eater has started eating her hay a lot more. She went from taking 3 days to eat two flakes to two days. So there is not question about her eating more. Which is a good thing. She has always been one of the more difficult ones to keep weight on like I want her to during the winter. This winter I am getting her a blanket to see if it helps her some. Anyways enough of my rambling. :-D Oh a couple of pics too :-D The only one that gets grain is the filly and she also gets free choice pasture. Its not the best pasture but it is pretty good at keeping weight on them and not getting them too fat when they are one it.

Foxy, the mare with the under bite. She is around 30 inches so is smaller mare. My daughter was trying to hold her for me for the pic. She did very well actually. Foxy is her pony after all.

2802b646.jpg

Then here is Ralf. The stud muffin who is the sire of the filly below. Right now I do not have her dam on premises as she is currently at a friend's so now pics of her dam. Also my daughter was trying to hold him here. She has seen me doing a halter like set up with him so is trying to do it herself so excuse him turning to her. He is trying to figure out what she was asking him to do.

a4d70024.jpg

And the filly. I have been thinking of calling her Mystic but around here she is constantly being referred to as filly lol. Also a top view of her back marking for those who have seen her before it loves the way it looks.

ac302205.jpg

3ac8ac89.jpg

I hope you don't mind if I ask an additional question.

Cost?

The product I have seen, the price is pretty up there if given daily by the weight listed.

Am I missing something?

Its going to cost me $45 for my 3 for 80 days but from what a lot of people say it also reduces the amount of feed a horse needs a lot of times too. So I am going to give it a try and see what results I get if any, So far since my one mare is eating with more gusto I am happy.

There is an off brand of the Strongid C 2x . I just started to feed it. It is less expensive then the Strongid. It is called Continual Wormer, by Equi Aide. It is $40 do it is $10 cheaper. And it is better for them. It contains more protien and fat. My vet highly reccomends it. He says we all need it this year as it is supposed to be a super bad winter. Hope this helps.

The reason it decreases their need for feed is because of the fat and protien it contains.

I use Strongid c-2 for my foals the firt year and my show horses. They do not get much, a table spoon a day per horse. For the foals, I sprinkle it on the top of their food as they are all fed together. The other horses just get wormed with wormer.

Even though my horses get Strongid c-2, they also get Ivermectin every 8 weeks.

When it first came out I fed it to our entire show string of Quarter Horses for well over a year. It was pricey to do and I feel we gained nothing from it and it was a waste for us. You still have to keep up with your other de-worming products and keep on a tight schedule anyhow, so I didn't feel the need to continue with it. Maybe I am missing something here but I don't see what the problem is with buying your horses a bag of grain. Also for the one with the bad bite have you considered soaking beet pulp or hay cubes for her?

Your horses look good by the way and is that little baby Katrina in the background?
default_saludando.gif

Oh yeah I know about keeping up with deworming and such still. I figure it was just worth a shot to try and see if there is any difference. As for problem buying grain. It is not an issue. I am just waiting a couple of weeks to see if there is any difference with using the daily dewormer alone. As of now it has been a week and my mare with the underbite has a better appetite then she ever has. And they all are loosing that bloated belly look they had. Next week I am buying some grain for them. As for why no beet pulp or cubes. She is a bit funny about that. She rather have her tifton hay then the cubes. And the soaked beet pulp she has choked on before so she isn't allowed to have it anymore. Going to be starting her on a complete feed next week to start putting some extra padding on her for winter. I might be only in Florida but she always tends to loose weight over the winter. Even though she gets 6 lbs of a complete feed and free choice hay.
default_wacko.png
Which is why I am going to get a blanket for her this year before it starts getting too cold.

Edited to add: Yes marty that is miss Katrina holding bother ralf and Foxy. She is getting big and helps me with the ponies a lot. Ralf is a good boy for her but of course around the mares she isn't allowed near him. But in his paddock she is fine as long as I am there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back