Question For Those Who Draw

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzmoe

Reaction score
Well its geared more to those of you who can draw people. I am having the worst time trying to draw a nose anad would like some pointers please. I am currently working on a project for someone but am having trouble with this. :no: Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

I break it down to its smallest parts and stop thinking of it as a nose. I know that sounds odd. Just look at lines and curves and draw them. Then it all starts to come together.

woman and her dog i did in charcoal years ago

dogwoman.jpg

Noses aren't as hard as feet and hands for most artists
default_smile.png

Basically the nose is a wedge. It has a slight face to the front, and is a wedge out from there.

How you have been trained to draw will determine how you approach learning to draw the nose. Most artists I've come across aren't classically trained and only draw by contour or by photographic reference only.

Once you start breaking down to form and shape with contour OVER that, it will actually become easier.

Put in several hundred hours of life drawing from nude figures and you will find (like I have) that all the "parts" become not as intimidating. You can get hours of life drawing for not-too-expensive at a local college. Other artists may be willing to show you their approach, too. It's hard over the internet.

Good luck,

Andrea

I don't draw much anymore, but when I did I had more trouble with mouths than anything. I have pages of old sketches that are "mouthless" LOL.

Jan

I really have a lot of trouble with smiling mouths with teeth. Closed ones aren't so bad. Eyes are my fav to draw on a face.

What Kay and Andrea said is really good. But another way to look at it is to take your reference picture and turn it so your looking at it upside down. Because its upside down you stop seeing it as a nose and are looking at it as contours and basic shapes. This idea was empahsised a lot to me in high school art, and I still use it now in university. This method also works for anything, especially for proportions.

~Megan

Back