question for Quarter Horse folks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdtexas

Reaction score
My friend has a new colt just born 3 weeks ago. He said he read that he should clip/shave/cut off the colts whiskers? I've never heard of this. Wondered if anyone here has heard of it before? Seemed strange to me and can't think why it would benefit the colt.

I would assume its like imprint training, do it now so they are used to it later. Personally I dont clip mine untill they are either being shown ( as a yearling) or old enough for riding training. I just let them be horses at such a young age. I also feel that these whiskers are such a sensory organ at that young age. I say leave em alone
default_yes.gif
:

I can't see anything to benefit from it unless like Pepipony said it is some kind of imprint training. I don't think it would hurt the colt to shave them off, considering you took your time and didn't scare him into hurting himself or something. However I really don't see the benefit of it either. I guess it's just personal prefrence.

I've never heard that before. I don't think it would be a form of imprint training, because aren't you only supposed to imprint right after birth? I would definitely leave them. Horses do have feeling in their whiskers, and can use them to feel pieces of grain left in a bucket, etc. I only clip mine for a show, and dislike doing it even then.

If she wants to get the colt used to clippers on his nose, she doesn't need to actually remove the whiskers. Just turn on the clippers and run the side of it against his nose, not the blade part. He will get used to the bizzing noise and the vibrations, and not lose his adoarable and trusty whiskers that help him feel and protect his nose from sunburn

I don't actually shave anything but I do run the clippers over them at 1 day old.

I'd be there asking... "WHY" ? I don't clip whiskers... I use those little dollar things that do it without the clippers. My first line of tidying up our horses is to use scissors first, and clippers last! I have no clue why someone would do it. I work as a foal sitter, and of all the babies I've seen... no one has done this.

I'd go find the guy and ask what he was talking about. Does he live in my neighborhood? We have 29 horse owners around here, and not one of them will agree with another one, about anything.... and of course, every single one is an expert!

God Bless,

Lynn W

Latest posts

Back