Question for Breeders: Prices

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoot

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Another question for you. I'm getting ready to buy the miniature horse that I have wanted since the moment he hit the market. He's been for sale for ages, which is mind boggling to me. I guess the market is just that tanked! I love everything about him. His sire and dam are two of my favorites, and from what I can tell the rest of his pedigree is fairly decent. He has the conformation to be competitive in the show ring with potential as a herd sire, in my opinion. The breeder is asking what I consider to be an extremely low price for the quality of this colt. However I will still have to drive 829 miles round trip to get him and pay for coggins. As a breeder, what would be a fair price for you to charge? Do you break even? Make a profit? I can't imagine anyone is making a profit in this market! Or is a good home more important to you? I'm just trying to understand how these horses are getting priced. I've seen much lower quality minis for sale for the exact same price, and selling in much shorter time...

As a seller alot depends on your location (as Hauling can be expensive), your situation (have you had way too many colts born) and of course conformation, pedigree, show record, registration, color preference of the buyer often figures into play. It has really been a buyers market these past couple years.

A good home is always important to us, as we want our buyers to be happy with their purchase in hope for a forever home for them.

It's not anything most of us can make a living on for sure but if you can cover all the breeding costs and buy some hay and have a little extra $ for something else. It's so rewarding to see your horses shown by someone else and doing well in the show ring that's worth its weight in gold to us.

We are small and want to get a little smaller for 2 reasons costs of caring for our miniatures properly needs to stay at small numbers and we do have our farm for sale, as we don't need as much land with miniatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hoot,

Can I see a picture of him if possible? It would depend on what his price is and what your going to use him for to make it worth your while to add on the travel expensives, coggins, etc. If this colt is REALLY what you want and you can afford him, then go for it
default_smile.png
....are you going to make $$...well the market for Miniatures and ponies now is the softest I have ever seen it. I don't think very many people are getting what they want at all and making money is for the very few. I really don't see how folks are able to show, especially on the National much because of all the costs which just keep going up. The economy is to blame I am sure and it's hard to say when things will get better
default_sad.png
.....I hate to be so negative!

We have beautiful 100% Arenosa Miniature Shetland ponies and they are NOT moving. People want show pictures and show records..ready to show miniatures and ponies. They certainly don't want to come to remote places to buy them as we are in. We were selling our ponies 5-6 years ago for $1500. and up easy, but now you just about have to give them away. This is a shame because you work hard for years to breed nice ones and then to have to sell them for so little is hard to swallow. I saw recently that Taylor Pony Farm had their yearly sale and compared to the last few years, I imagine they were greatly disappointed at what they got for each pony. As low as $75.00, although 5 sold for over $1000, with one selling for $3000. which probably helped.

If having Miniature horses is your dream, what you really want and this colt is who you really want, then go for it. Show him, have fun with him, enjoy him and the other minis you might get...That is what a lot of people are just doing. Enjoying them the best they can. Your picture can be painted whatever way you choose. If your gut says yes, then always go with your gut. I wish you all the luck in the world...
default_smile.png

Blessings,

Jenny

Imo..right now..unless you have top quality show champions,there is no profit..ours are selling for around $500,and it is still taking months to sell them.the market around us is gone.people want cheap and quality... We are almost giving them away to good homes...i never expected it to drop so low..we are downsizing due to this..my opinion would be if you like him..go for it,but please dont expect to make money in the horse business.colts are usually priced lower.you can get great qualith at a steal right now.good luck!!

I just want to clarify, I am not asking if *I* can make money. I am asking why breeders are pricing horses the way they are. The large horse market is slowing coming back, but it seems the mini market isn't even close...

The minis are priced the way they are because there are so many of them available. The number one reason for breeding minis has been to sell them as breeding animals. In big horses they are bred to perform but in minis they are bred to breed. When the market gets flooded and stats flooded people eventually cut back on breeding. If they aren't breeding they aren't buying and when people aren't buying, those that are selling have to drop their prices in order to get someone to buy.

Personally I have bought some very nice horses for very low prices. Certainly I have seen others--some similar quality, many that are poorer quality--for higher prices. There are those who figure that because they pay more money that they are getting a better quality horse. Such is not necessarily the case--sometimes paying a higher price simply means the buyer "got took" very badly..

There is ad on Craigslist in my area for a dwarf filly - they are asking $1000 !!
default_new_shocked.gif

Another thing factoring into pricing is size. The under 30" market seems to be doing well and I've seen sold signs on people advertising dwarf minis for thousands of dollars. Pricing can be very subjective and not indicative of quality at the moment. I'm glad you've found a colt you like. You asked about coggins I think and it's usual that if the horse is under 1,000.00, the buyer pays for coggins and health certificate or at least that's what I've seen.

The market really stinks right now. I have three mares I would give away to the right homes and consider myself ahead in some ways. I won't have to spend the money to feed, vaccinate, house.

The way auctions are going I would be selling at a loss by the time I paid for a coggins, health certificate, consignement fee, commisssion, and gas to get to the sale. Kind of depressing .

But how to give them away without getting had by another whacko like last time? I tried Craigs list and the person called the humane society and filed a false report. Not a problem other than the hassle for us. Then, she lied to her online community and told people that we had bred her at six months, that she was neglected and abused, that we had a large field with horses, minis, and mules running together, and for all she knew the father of this unknown foal was a mule (some miracle, eh?) Finally 18 months into this "pregnancy" the 2 year old (that was really 3 1/2 and not in foal) supposedly had a dead dwarf and oh wasn't that tragic. I finally had enough and contacted her and told her to take down her website and cease fundraising for this false rescue since as a state employee I was obligated to report her to the Attorney General. That website was gone in ten minutes and she moved to Florida within a month.

So needless to say, I am really gun shy to give horses away thanks to a healthy fear of crazies.

Apparently I have to go to Centerburg haha! Because I can't find anything under $250 which is killing me because all I want is a buddy for my gal. And you are right there is addition by subtraction. We have given away our racehorses to good homes because 1 they would have a good home and 2 we wouldn't have to be paying for them any longer.

Latest posts

Back