Question about Visual Frame Overo

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockinSMiniature

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to learn about Visual Frame Overo.

Is it possible for brown eyes that be pos. for Frame Overo?

I know that for as one or both blue eyes show as pos. for frame overo carrier.

I am trying to google up for the genetics and I love to learn about genetics.
default_smile.png

If anyone have a GOOD link and understanding website, please shared the links.

I know can't breed pos. to pos. (frame overo) and think it is very to test the mini horses for frame overo to be safe side. I have 2 fillies that I need to tested.

Joy has Rowdy's on her fifth generation and she is perlino and does have blue eyes.

But I want to be safe and would liked to know if she is a carrier or not.

Rosie's sire might be pos. for frame overo. Rosie's grandsire is LWO pos. and she need to be tested to be on safe side too.
default_smile.png
Her eyes are brown and does have a very light blue tint too.

Just curious, If anyone have a brown eyes and that is pos. of frame overo.
default_smile.png

Ours that are LWO+ have one blue and one brown eye. I would never assume that brown eyes meant that the horse was LWO negative. Best to test to be sure.

Rowdy was solid with brown eyes and he was Frame.

Blue eyes do NOT mean Frame.

Blue eyes are Splash and maybe Sabino.

Some horses are Frame and you can't tell by looking at them. One horse can carry Sabino, Frame, Splash, and Tobiano. The only real way to know a horse carries Frame is to test them. Even "solid" horses can really be Frame.

default_smile.png

Blue eyes do NOT mean Frame.

Blue eyes are Splash and maybe Sabino.

Some horses are Frame and you can't tell by looking at them. One horse can carry Sabino, Frame, Splash, and Tobiano. The only real way to know a horse carries Frame is to test them. Even "solid" horses can really be Frame.

default_smile.png
What REO said. Blue eyes do not mean Frame, nor absence of Frame. The only way to know if your horse carries Frame is to test.
default_smile.png

I never knew Rowdy had brown eyes!!! The things you learn here. All our blue eyed minis (and that includes Toffee who is not tested for LWO yet) have Rowdy blood, so I assumed they got their blue eyes from him. I still think that is where they must have come from. Of course I knew Rowdy was a solid (appearing) bay with a blaze and that he was actually frame.

Thanks to you all.

Reo, Thanks for explaining.
default_wink.png

I wasn't too sure about Rowdy and glad that someone know that he has brown eyes.

I will tested 3 of our miniatures for sure when I have a chance.

I will keep you update when it comes, it probably about 2 more months that I can get to it.

Have a great weekend!
default_biggrin.png

God Bless!

Okay, my stallion is by the Rowdy son Boogerman, and he is solid black,but does a a white spot hidden in his mane. Should I test him for Lwo before breeding him to a Lwo mare??!! Is it possible he may carry the gene from his Grandsire or does it have to be directly inherited from sire or dam/?? Someone please educate me and let me know, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
This is our frame overo pinto stallion that is now in Australia.

He has two brown eyes.

Left.jpg

Okay, my stallion is by the Rowdy son Boogerman, and he is solid black,but does a a white spot hidden in his mane. Should I test him for Lwo before breeding him to a Lwo mare??!! Is it possible he may carry the gene from his Grandsire or does it have to be directly inhereited from sire or dam/?? Someone please educated me and let me know, thanks

Our mare TLC's Miss Lucky Strike is solid black except for a white star. She has Rowdy in her back ground. She is an overo carrier. I would test your stallion.

Frame can and does cause blue eyes, but it would seem not as consistently as Splash and, since there is no test for Splash, it is not possible at present to rule out the possibility that Splash is also present.

Rowdy had a blaze, I thought he also had one partially blue eye, but I may be wrong on that!!

He was registered as solid, but was, in fact, a minimal Frame.

Here is our Bay Frame Overo stallion "Apache"

He has two BROWN eyes.
default_wink.png

Apache2yrsYardLeft10001.JPG

As others have already said.....Frame Overos can have blue or brown eyes. (or a combination!)
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back