Question about the overall market

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsehug

Reaction score
Lately I have heard that people are only getting $100 to $500 for most minis. I am not talking horses with faults like off bites or bad legs, etc.......... but for nicely conformed little horses that are not necessarily from well known bloodlines or well known farms but are good conformation, pretty heads and overall pretty nice.

I realize that horses with National show records and certain very popular bloodlines do sometimes still bring really good prices. (Actually I have heard that even the market on some of them at times is down).

But I am just wondering how true these things are, or if any of you believe the market is not as dreary as I often hear (or even might be going up again slightly?) and what makes some horses bring good prices still.

Thanks for any input. :)

Susan O.

Lately I have heard that people are only getting $100 to $500 for most minis. I am not talking horses with faults like off bites or bad legs, etc.......... but for nicely conformed little horses that are not necessarily from well known bloodlines or well known farms but are good conformation, pretty heads and overall pretty nice.

I realize that horses with National show records and certain very popular bloodlines do sometimes still bring really good prices. (Actually I have heard that even the market on some of them at times is down).

But I am just wondering how true these things are, or if any of you believe the market is not as dreary as I often hear (or even might be going up again slightly?) and what makes some horses bring good prices still.

Thanks for any input. :)

Susan O.
I've wondered the same thing..I'm looking for a mini and have seen prices all over the board..Some are $10,000 some are 1-2 hundred.Is it the name of the farm, the name of the stallion? Some seem more popular..Truthfully I find it hard to tell what they look like under their hair, unless their clipped...so, how am I to know how much to spend on one? Do you have to have one of the ones that looks like a miniature Arabian to do well in the shows?

Unfortunately there were some minis at a auction in Pa. that were bound for slaughter...they were around 400 to rescue, but that is price per LB. Not sure what quality they were but looked cute!

There have been quit a few minis on CL lately. Prices are fairly low. I don't think there is anything listed for over $1,500. It is uncommon to see minis listed at all here. However, no one is turning loose of those show carts or harnesses.

I don't know about the show market, but I've seen registered minis under $1000 on CL. Some as low as $200. A number of them looked very cute and nicely built.

Last edited by a moderator:
The prices in my area for registered minis are very low. The ones I've seen are from good bloodlines, and are very healthy.
default_yes.gif

Liz R.

I don't really know where the market is at, but it seems when I'm looking to buy I definitely don't find anything in the $100-$500 range. I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong places or if I just have exquisite taste, cause 75% of the minis I look at are well above my price point.
default_rolleyes.gif

I see registered minis listed here for somewhere around $350 - $500. I also see them relisted over and over so I don't really think that there is a big market here for minis.

I too was thinking the same thing. I see LOTS of minis for sale, but the price range is just wild! $300 to $5000 is what I am commonly seeing. There are some really nice horses in the $1000 range and some that I don't care for as much either. I've seen a few priced around $3500 - 4000, and I can't see why. And of course there were a bunch at that price that were stunning!

I have seen a number of the $3000 to $5000 horses selling, but I still see a number of the cheaper, nice $300 - $1500 horses around, being re-listed again and again.

Not sure why, but I do know that if I had money, I'd be SHOPPING!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

I think the miniature horse market is down, yes, but I don't think the miniature horse market being down is unique. Most other markets are down as well, it's just the economy. I'd agree that their seems to be many minis on CL and similar boards, but in my experience those tend to be the "pet" quality minis. Remember, registration papers don't dictate quality, and for the right price, any horse can be registered, at least for now.

I think the market's slowly coming back, Susan. So far I've been able to get decent prices for the ones I sell. Of course, I just keep them till I get a decent price!
default_wink.png
I don't get the inquiries that I did a few years ago, but I've noticed that's beginning to change, too. I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble selling your babies! You have the nicest foals EVERY year!
default_aktion033.gif

Melba

Seems unless you are a big well known barn, even if your horses are as good as or better than the big barn, people want your animals for free.
default_no.gif

So with what I have been seeing, the over all market is really bad.

The vast majority of people want a pet quality mini and only a small percentage of owners show, so most of the minis on CL, if they have good handling, nice personalities and no health issues are going to meet the needs of the average mini owner.

The thing I don't like on CL are the large number of mini stallions...who wants a stallion for a pet? Those horses need to be gelded and not be making more babies.

Remember, registration papers don't dictate quality, and for the right price, any horse can be registered, at least for now.

First, horses of any size are a luxury, especially in today's economy.

Next, those who have the stallions that need gelding are those who, quite often, see no need to spend the $$ to do the surgery and "see no harm" in leaving it to another. Hey, they feel he's a foal and lose reality as he ages.

Even the buyers are keeping the market down, I mean, why pay MORE than asking price, or the high bid at an auction. This does not always reflect quality just a registry does not.

Those who are more serious breeders often search out a "preferred" animal and pay a better price as that is what they want for their program lines.....they REALLY search the auctions for the same reason, lower price.

Guys, like many of you, I have horses in my field who COST me $8-20K when purchased. I also know that they have paid for themselves as I sold well during they "heyday" of showing and such. My love for them has not diminished, although their daily "market value" has. I am still very HAPPY that years back I turned down $25K for the mare I just farriered yesterday
default_wub.png
Her son, is here and well loved (in my avatar). He produces very well when allowed to breed. There are animals in my herd that many would love to have but, mine they are and will stay.
default_yes.gif
I could start up again with my younger mares, if I chose to begin the promotion, showing, etc. again.

My personal choice is to not breed very often. I do/have sold some youngsters at low prices (hey, used to get $1,500 for breeding fee)....they are in great homes, have a buy-back, and are making some families happy. Have some who could go to shows and win, right now -- but, it's expensive to show!!! And the desire for that much work/expense/time has waned
default_laugh.png

So, yes, all sales of everything is down. But, luxury is just that.

The market is definitely down over here.

There are still people asking what I consider to be silly prices, but I am pretty sure they are not getting them!

It is not just the low prices, either, from a good ad I placed in a good magazine I had not oneanswer!

Neither did a friend who placed an ad at the same time.

People just are not willing or able to start buying what they quite rightly see as a luxury item, even if it is a lot more economical than a BH.

I do not see the market picking up for another three to six years, either, and I also believe that it will get worse before it gets better.

This little "hitch" where people think the market is picking up is absolutely typical of a financial recession, we are seeing it where I live (the most financially stable and high priced area in GB) as house prices start to rise again, and fuel prices go down. Unfortunately this respite will, I fear, be brief, and then fuel prices will rise again, (and I think yours will too) and house prices will either come to a standstill or slump.

We, the world that is, are in deep doo-doo folks, we need to dig in, tighten our belts and cut our cloth according to our means.

I am gelding all my colts, irrespective of quality, as I am foreseeing having to keep them a while and do not need a field full of colts!

I may start gelding the stallions next year.

I shall only breed what I can afford to keep and may have to face up to putting down some of the older stock.

This is being realistic.

I agree Jane!! However, I am not finding one single horse that I would be willing to use for breeding stock at those low prices! Though the general market is down (for ALL horse breeds, not just Minis) I am still seeing reasonable sales and I have been contacted by a few out of country folks who were looking for something in particular.

I think it really depends on the horse, and quality horses are still selling for decent prices- not what they used to of course, but decent, it seems.

Yep I do agree. I just sold a really nice mare but didnt have much to anything for bloodlines with her colt at her side for $200.

Have another nice mare here with decent lines that I cant even get $500 for. Being I am getting out of horses I will probably end up giving her away.

Latest posts

Back