Question about squaring up?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieGirl89

Reaction score
So Spirit will square up his front legs like a pro! But his back legs are a different story. Like most of you know I'm new to this stuff, so I need a little help here. How do I get him to square up his back legs? He usually is either really off, or his back legs are touching each other and he won't separate them. In this pic his front legs look great but the back legs...not so much.

20130403_113642_zpse3b26ce3.jpg

Can't help you on the training issues, but to help with the diet issue we need more information.

How old is he? How tall? Current weight? Current feed program (what and how much)?

Oh, and he's very cute.

There is some information on setting up for halter that I wrote for 4-Hers on our website (link below) in the 4-H section. I think it is called "Showing at halter". One thing I found is that is is much easier to set up a horse who has correct leg conformation than it is one with an issue such as cow hocks. When a horse with correct leg conformation (my experience anyway) moves a foot or is not set up quite square it is not a major problem - it just looks like a foot is out of place. When a horse with less than ideal leg conformation moves a foot, any flaws can be exposed. You also need to make sure there is weight on each foot which you can do by shifting weight with the lead or your hand.

I was new to asking a horse to "square up" on command. Did lots of studying and they all said "keep using a command and set them up by hand and then reward them." Yeah right, I thought. Well, I have 2 that will move their own feet to position them every time I stop and face them...as I would for a showmanship class. It still amazes me. What I did was carry several "little" treats in my hand or pocket. I used a short whip and first used the handle of whip (since has some weight to it) and would start with hind feet. Always have the left hind move into place with right hind. I would back them, say your command (such as "place, square up or??) and tap the foot or press gently on the coronary band with whip handle 'til they move it. Reward immediately with your voice and give a treat for any effort at first. Don't expect perfect at first. And just work on back first. May have to help them by moving the foot with your hand at times. The whip is only to help you reach them and cue them. I then tell them to "step up" for them to step the front feet up into place. Again reward immediately for little effort. I do this every day for about 5 min. I do it now when I'm done working them...instead of just getting a treat, they have to place their feet first. They think it's a fun game. This is really helpful for showmanship and Halter obstacle. It takes time, but is fun when you see them quickly getting the idea that moving their feet into position gets them a treat.

Reactions: KLM
That's a great idea! See I would have never known that, I'll try that with him this week if the forecast is wrong and it doesn't rain. As far as his weight goes he's 13 and I haven't measured him yet, but I believe he is 29", he's a little guy. Current feeding is with 4 other mini's, I think my mom has been giving them grain since it was pretty cold up here this winter and they get 2 bales a week but that's with all 4 in the pasture together, nowhere to separate them.

Hey, if it rains (oh and you have a barn) then it's perfect weather for halter training. Just go up and down the aisle or even standing just outside their stall to position them. I used this type of weather (and being in Wisconsin, the winter months) to train for alter and obstacle like turning and backing and side passing over things. Gotta go with where you live --unfortunately for those of us that don't have an indoor arena.

Setting up is THE MOST frustrating thing to ever teach any horse! I wanted my guy to be an absolute showmanhip machine, so instead of saying "Set em up," or any vocal cues, his cue is when my toes point toward him. I taught it by over exagerating the showmanship stance, holding it for 5 seconds or so, then setting his legs. Repeat a couple times a week ofr a couple months, it WILL come, although you wont believe me! (I didn't believe the girl that taught me!) Do the big cheesy smile, use the halter you would for showmanship (or replicate it by at least using the chain under the nose), hold you rhands like you are holding a tea try, etc. Always set the back feet first, and be lenient at first, even if they are close together, etc, then get progressively stricter with it. Try not to use a whip, be patient and try to set his feet without touching them, although for the first week or two you might have to. Only work on it for a few minutes every time, its easy for both parties to get frustrated teaching and learning this.

Its slighlty different to set up for showmanship them halter. I don't park him out for showmanship, etc. My guy knows to set up like a quarter horse when my toes point towards him, and to "park em' " when i say to park them, which means just to move his front feet foward. Then, I say WHOA, which he knows is do not move even if the earth explodes, then i set his legs farher apart with my hands, if need be whihc is rare, he gets this concept, (he's still green though, only halter broke a year, he is 7.....) tell him to "put away his man parts" etc. In showmanship, that would be sloppy to speak to a horse, move around, etc.

I've never trained a horse to set up for shows but, being in dog 4-H, I did teach my Springer Spaniel to stand for shows. For Showmanship he needs to stand a specific way for his breed. I started out with lots of treats and coaxing because in the beginning he was extremely sensetive (he still is to a point but it's better) and started by gaiting him like you're supposed to in Showmanship and then I would slow down, tell him "stand" then halt. I was very lenient at first because he was new to it so if he got it even close to right he was rewarded. As we went along I started expecting more from him and would correct him if he was off. Now, seven years later, if I say "stand" while he is on lead (doesn't work so well off lead, dang hunting dogs) he will stop and stand in his pretty stretched out stand. It took time and patience but now he is the second dog our 44-H trainer goes to for Showmanship stuff (he is first for everything else but our other Junior Leader is tying to become a professional handler and her dogs are show dogs so they do it better and like it more than Cody).

Don't know how much it will tie in to training your guy but so far most of my dog training work has worked with my Mini.

He's adorable by the way! (your Mini)

Hey, if it rains (oh and you have a barn) then it's perfect weather for halter training. Just go up and down the aisle or even standing just outside their stall to position them. I used this type of weather (and being in Wisconsin, the winter months) to train for alter and obstacle like turning and backing and side passing over things. Gotta go with where you live --unfortunately for those of us that don't have an indoor arena.
I really wish I could do that, but alas I lack having a barn. They are outside 24/7 with a lean-to

Thanks for the advice you guys! It's raining right now and I'm not sure when it will clear up, but as soon as it does I'm gonna go try some of this stuff with him. Can't wait! He used to show a lot, I'm not sure how long ago though. He used to be a halter/driving/jumper! He jumps! This little itty bitty horsey jumps! I'm sorry but precious doesn't even describe his itty bitty legs going over a log or something lmao!

If he's done this before and enjoyed any of it you will see him come back fast. My old guy was 15 when we bought him and for about 3 or 4 yrs,had been a pasture ornament. He had been shown before that. I took him, brought his weight down, put him back in harness and within a couple of shows he was winning like he'd just come from a trainer. He loves obstacle, in-hand and driving, and he really showed me that he remembered at our 2nd show. I was so surprised I finished the class with my mouth open.

He's 25 this year and we only plan to use him in halter and color with the granddaughter so he won't have to stay home alone.

That is so great! I couldn't get out there this week due to the weather being so nasty (good thing I didn't clip!) and cold. I really want to start working with him more and I'm sure he will remember It like he just left the show ring
default_smile.png
I love that your guy is 25 and you're still using him to his full potential even with your granddaughter.

Latest posts

Back