Question about showing...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2t99

Reaction score
My soon to be 5 yr old daughter is going to be showing this year for the first time, we have yearling colt that was born here and will be gelded soon. My question is should we go ahead and have her show him or should I find a seasoned gelding for her to show? I am trying to decide which way would be best. Any suggestions would be graetly appreciated!! Thanks

[SIZE=14pt]She will have a better experience with a seasoned gelding. YEarlings can be obnoxious no matter how sweet they are at home.... if they are not show savy they can and will freak on occassion. I had one that couldnt stand on all 4 feet at a show but was like a puppy at home. If your daughter has a tough time showing this yearling she may decide that showing isnt for her and Im sure thats not what you want for her.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I think it would really depend on the personality and disposition of the yearling. If he is quiet and lazy, your daughter might have no problems at all with him, if he's more spirited, he may be a handful for her.

Even if he is easy to work with, however, a seasoned older show gelding (or even mare) would probably be your best bet, just because an experienced will already be trained, which is a bonus, because your daughter, as a beginner, will find it a lot easier if the horse she is showing is not also a beginner.

Additionally, your daughter would be able to show a senior horse in more classes. She would only be able to show the yearling in Halter, Color, Liberty and Costume, whereas if she got an older horse she could show in those classes plus Driving, Obstacle and Hunter.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back