Question about Milk test strips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
I just ordered the milk testing strips that you test the milk directly from the mare (no mixing).

When do you normally start using the test strips on your mom's to be ?

We dont use the strips anymore but either way we dont take a milk sample until I know the mare is pretty close. You can go by the due date and what the udder looks like. Once the udder is full and nipples pointed to the ground I take a small sample.

One thing I know for sure is if you see a full udder that is hot to the touch that mare is ready to foal

Sending good thoughts for an easy foaling for you!

Kay

The advice already given is good except for the fact that not all mares bag up or produce milk before foaling. I have been told that my new mare coming home in August doesn't bag up until a few hours before she foals so therefore there would be no need for me to "test" her milk! On the other hand, I had my maiden mare to bag up very nicely a few weeks before foaling, then shrank and then bagged up heavily again and foaled a few days later.

It's all different but I am planning on using the FOAL-TIME strips as well next year. Used the MOTHER NATURE's brand and didn't like how they worked. I test as soon as I can get milk from the mare. With the FOAL-TIME strips, you just need a single drop versus the 1/2cc you need for the MOTHER NATUREs brand.

I would test as soon as you can get milk from the mare. If you know her foaling habits then you may be able to wait longer but I prefer to "cover my bases" and be extra sure. I've never had a problem with taking the milk from mares and with only having to take a single drop with these new tests, I can't wait to try them in 2011!

I use the pool test strips you get at Walmart. They are the best indicator I've found.

I test when I can get milk and test more frequently as the body starts showing other signs.

Just wondering what strips most use and are the best. I have tried for the last few days to get milk but can't. how do you do it like a getting it from a cow?

Some mares are harder to milk than others and as stated, not all mares bag up prior to foaling, but most do. There is never going to be one solution that fits all mares. I personally prefer the mother natures strips as I can always get enough milk for the test and its so darn reliable! That reliability is totally worth it to me.

Never milked a cow, but my guess is its similar. Just start up above the nipple, in the bag area, apply even and firm pressure as you pull downward. It can take a few strokes before the milk comes out. Practice getting milk out successfully before trying to test it. Just get your technique down and then try capturing some on a shot glass. This method works for me.

Good luck!

I just ordered the Foal-Time strips yesterday so I will be trying them soon on my mares for the first time. I want to by the pool strips too and use together. This way hopefully I will get some idea of foal seeing as I have a high risk mare this year.

I use the walmart strips for the PH reading, I have found it very accurate.

I use a different brand for calcium, and its much easier to read. The pads change faster as the mares get closer, some mares will foal on all 5 pads some on 3. But we have noticed the faster they turn the closer to foaling.

Last night Katie turned the first pad in 20 seconds and barely turned the 2nd in 60. She typically foals at 3 pads. A few days ago she barely turned the first pad in 60 seconds.

I test milk when I can get it and she is showing signs.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back