Question about mares' milk before foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsehug

Reaction score
A good friend taught me about tasting the mares' milk quite a few years ago and it has been extremely helpful over the years. So far, to the best of my knowledge, and having tasted it from most of my mares before they foal, they have all changed from salty to sweet (or at least not salty at all) before they foaled.

I was wondering for those of you who taste the mare's milk, have you ever had one that actually foaled (and I am talking about full term, not an early miscarriage) while it still tasted salty? Or does it always change first?

Thanks!

Susan O.

Well I am going to take the lack of responses as a "No" to anyone ever having a mare foal while her milk was still salty.
default_smile.png

That does help. Thanks!
default_smile.png

Susan O.

horsehug...I have not foaled out many mares but my mare a couple weeks ago was not salty when she foaled and was salty prior to

Susan, I haven't ever had one foal with salty tasting milk. They usually taste sweet or coconutty. Who's on deck now? I love your tiny babies!
default_thumbup.gif

Melba

Thanks Melba!
default_smile.png

I'm actually watching Cherub, Mandolyn and Strawberry! Of those three only Strawberry is under 30" though.
default_smile.png

How is your tiny new filly doing??
default_smile.png

Susan O.

Susan, In all these years we've never done that. Thanks for yet another sign to watch for (taste! LOL)...

We can all sure use every sign we can get!

Can't wait to see what your girls have! My little stinker's doing just great. Running around making her mama crazy! lol

Melba

Latest posts

Back