question about liberty

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennykins

Reaction score
Does the music you use depend on your results or is it on only on how the horse moves?

Oh and when training your horse to stand for classes like showmanship, what kind of time duration to you think is good?

Another question--

i have my gelding with my friends...and it seems like at a show if he is seperated from him to the point where he cant see him he starts whinnying and getting slightly nervous, is there a way to cure him of this? Possibly moving him away from the other gelding more often instead of just at shows?

hmm...about the problem with his friends. I had the same problem but I just spent more time taking the horse away from her friends and distracting her, pretty soon she didnt care, so long as she was the one having fun and not left in the pasture, lol.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Good luck!

Katie

Music can play a huge part in your judging from what I have been told by a few judges. YOu do want it to kinda match your horses movement as well as think of the "target" audience the judges.. you may not opt to choose rap or heavy metal but perhaps a more middle of the road type of music

id so love to see a video of liberty i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you guys are so in tune with your horses
default_rolleyes.gif
: im so jealous :lol: lol

I was very happy at a recent show to see that people seemed a bit more creative in selecting liberty -- instead of just the same old tired pop and country, there was classical, jazz (well, that was us...), classic rock, and bluegrass -- and the music really seemed to be chosen to go with the horse and its way of moving.

It's also nice to bring in a bit of humor ... such as when the song title (though unannounced) is especially fitting...of course, the judges and audience have to recognize the song and know the title for this to work!

The music should suit the horse and how it goes in a liberty class. In AMHA shows there IS a seperate score component given for music. It should suit how your horse moves, their attitude and their overall "look". Music is the salt on your liberty eggs.

Don't run a stallion to a girly flute solo. Don't run to some dramatic orchestra piece if your guy isn't "heavy" enough to match it. Don't choose something that says he should march along at a trot if you know he'll work mostly at a canter. That kind of thing.

Also, considering a lot of places seem to have just awful sound systems, I'd stay away from anything that has any exceptionally high/shrill notes just to spare ears... nothing like being half-awake at 8:30 and having cheap speakers screech some high note right above you...
default_wacko.png
:

more about the liberty question. I agree with what others had said be orignial in your choice. If I were to go back in to the liberty ring I would chose a song with no lyrics as I have always pictured liberty being done to a classical song. Or i would go for the oposit end and so something really funny like Kung Fou Fighting. Also I would like to point out that the time does not start when the music starts it starts when the halter hits the ground, being the music lover that I am I hate it when I good song gets cut off short, make an act enternatain the crowd, dance with your horse for a few seconds before you take off the halter or drop it. Also train your horse to come to you at the end, or train your horse to walk beside you so you can leave the halter in the center and walk to your horse and then he walk back to the halter with you, that always looks nice too. And DRESS UP to fit your song choice and horse, it shows you put effort in the class and are not just in it for points. I ware a dress and chunky heels when I did liberty and I got lots of complments on how well my horse acted following be around as we did our little dance.

As far as your gelding goes. he should be listing to you not looking for the other gelding when you are working with him. Take him out of veiw of the other gelding more often at home and make him do what you want him to do and we get to know that he is just as safe with you as he is with his friend.

-Vanessa

Hey guys, thanks for the tips! I just got in from working with him and today I took him out for a walk away from his little friend...he wasnt whinnying or acting nervous at all....it only seems like it happens at the shows?
default_wacko.png
: Maybe if I start taking him out for walks away from his friend every day he will act how he does at home when taken away from his buddy. And as far as liberty music goes, I was debating between a hip-hop song and a classic rock song...I'll have to look and see who the judges are, most of the time they are on the age more of enjoying a classic rock song rather than a hiphop/rap song. I'll have to practice with him with both songs and see what he looks like moving to it better.
default_yes.gif
:

Oh! And also--how do exactly do you train your horse to walk up to you, rather than have to walk to them
default_rolleyes.gif
: during the time for catch after the song is over?

Oh! And also--how do exactly do you train your horse to walk up to you, rather than have to walk to them
default_rolleyes.gif
: during the time for catch after the song is over?

Hehe, I use System of a Down's B.Y.O.B. for Dealer

Anyways, how I train my horses is at home, when they are on the lead, I give them grain from my pocket. Then I have my music play and I let them go. I do have the music set to a min and 30 secs and then it ends. When it does, I tell my horse whoa, and get there attention. I then show them the grain and I beckon my finger at my horse. When he comes to that, i give him grain. I do this a LOT at home.

Then at the show, I give him grain outside the ring, beckon with my finger and I will halter him. Then I will reward him after the class if he comes correctly.

and you have to remember liberty isnt for every horse just cause they move nice doesnt make them a liberty horse. I have one who is pretty amazing he can not only really move but loves it tail flagging, snorting , uses the whole arena on his own does the big trot it is his time to shine.

The gelding we are showing this year.. well he will do it at one local show cause my friends wanna good laugh. I take the halter off he stands there- I chase him and run at him he stands there looking hurt- then he runs tail in the air big trot I think WHOO HOO he is going.. he does for about 20 steps and then yep he stands there when I turn to the other direction he follows me so now I have figured hey I want him to run I run and he runs after me I can make him back up turn on the forehand, haunches, walk trot all with no halter but the catch is he has to be following me and trust me.. I AM NOT A LIBERTY PERSON and NO ONE wants to see this big ol body run :eek: :new_shocked: so I was going to scratch from our local show but they want a good laugh so why not but at least on the plus side I can watch the whole B liberty at Nationals this year :aktion033:

Thanks for the technique Feather1414, I'll have to try doing that/start doing that from now on...

Lisa sounds like you have a "fun" time with that gelding of yours! LOL. Yeah last year I got first in a Liberty class, I was so proud of my little guy
default_wub.png
: My next show will be my first liberty class of the year, because I havent done it in the last two shows I've been too...hopefully it goes okay and I wont have to chase him around too much or anything.

Wow! It sounds like so much fun!! Is there ever videos of the nationals so some of us this side of the water could learn??? If there is, where could we get one??

About the "walk up to you catch"- it looks great, but (and this is just my opinion) if the horse doesn't start making a line for you right away, just forget it and go grab the horse.

I've seen people burn up the whole clock trying to get the horse to come to them when they could just go get the horse. Time runs out and they're DQ'd. It also just looks bad "please, horsey, come here, come here" Looks really bad.

Mine doesn't come to me- he stops with the music and waits for me to go get him. It's nothing fancy and it's not a "10", but it IS clean, polished and gets the job done.

Yeah thats basically the same with me Littleum...my gelding usually doesnt keep moving around after the music stops, and just waits for me to get him...at the last show I was at though, in the B-division I saw a horse get first under one judge even though after the music stopped the horse moved away from the 'catcher' a few times...but I dont know, heh.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

i know brenda plas has trained hers to come back to her when she shakes a can of pennies. If you make that sound everytime you feed a horse and then do that when the song ends they come running to you because they think they are getting food LOL. But i also heard that that was going to be disallowed either this year or next year?? Not sure.

My pet peeve is the announcer starting the music at the wrong time growls!!! we have a song that has a small intro and I dont drop the halter until that is over. Well at the last show they started my music before i even got in the ring. I made them start it over. They still skipped the intro. Then my second horse you could barely hear his music. I dont know about everyone elses horses but mine get revved up hearing the music!! They also started frans music before she got totally in the ring and she made them start over. Its like they were trying to rush thru the liberty classes and this was a jackpot class so I was not happy. We had to pay an extra fee to show in it and the prize was winning money back.

If your new at remember you cannot touch the horse with ANYTHING! not a whip or a hand etc. And never gallop the horse if you can help it because this causes a lot of them to fall and is an automatic DQ

the judges i have talked to say they mostly score on how the horse moves to the song. a horse coming back to you at the end is nice but if he/she is not a big mover it wont matter in the end

Last edited:
Back