Question about classes at AMHR Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim

Reaction score
I was just looking at the prize list for AMHR Nationals because we are considering showing there next year - am I wrong, or do they not offer Amateur Hunter, Amateur Obstacle Driving and Amateur Halter Obstacle? Does anybody know why not, and if there are any plans to add these classes in the future? I hope I am wrong and I just missed them, as I certainly would hesitate to go if they don't have these classes--my favorite classes are the performance classes!

Thanks for any info!

They do offer amateur hunter. It's the very last class of the youth classes that night. I missed it last year and didn't know they offered it till while I was at the show lol.

I think the major reasons they don't have the obstacle classes for the amateurs is because it takes up alot of time. I wish they would have them too cause I am a performance junkie myself also lol.

What I would like to see is they will divide the Youth Halter Obstacle class into age groups. The little kids just don't stand a chance going against the older more experienced kids. Heck one obstacle last year was taller than the kids in the ring itself. I'm not in youth anymore, and was able to watch it as a spectator last year, and they need to change that youth halter obstacle class.

Those classes are very time consuming and the National Show is very long! An Amateur is welcome to show in an Open class though, so at least you aren't TOTALLY discouraged from participating..

I agree, the Youth obstacle class should be split. That's awful tough for the little ones to negotiate some of the obstacles (Like ground tying next to a live chicken) and having to deal with the stress of a horse that disobeys for no reason...

Andrea

I find that very upsetting that they would not offer those classes for the amateurs.. whether or not they "take too long". They offer a TON of amateur halter classes, but not one ammy obstacle class? :no: Maybe if enough people want those classes and approach AMHR, they might consider adding it.

I find that very upsetting that they would not offer those classes for the amateurs.. whether or not they "take too long". They offer a TON of amateur halter classes, but not one ammy obstacle class? :no: Maybe if enough people want those classes and approach AMHR, they might consider adding it.
I am not sure if this is right or not since I always leave on the last day and that is the day Obstacle is but I am guessing (and will check it out this year) that even though it is an open class the class is not filled to the brim with trainers. Sure there is going to be a few but I am thinking that it isnt like an open halter class with the amount of trainers and maybe that is why they dont feel the need to add an ammy class and the 3-4 hours for another obstacle class (at least that is how long the youth class is)

[SIZE=14pt]Open obstacle only has a couple of trainers in it. Most trainers show only halter and driving. The in hand performance classes are not usually thier bag. I used to do it but canta anymore. I also agree that the youth should maybe be divided between say 12 and under and 13-18.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I was just looking at the prize list for AMHR Nationals because we are considering showing there next year - am I wrong, or do they not offer Amateur Hunter, Amateur Obstacle Driving and Amateur Halter Obstacle? Does anybody know why not, and if there are any plans to add these classes in the future? I hope I am wrong and I just missed them, as I certainly would hesitate to go if they don't have these classes--my favorite classes are the performance classes!

Thanks for any info!
Amateur Hunter is the last class Sat. (SEpt 9) night. Am. Jumper is Mon morning before lunch. However,you are correct there are no obstacle Ammy classes halter or driving. I guess they figure if your horse can do the obstacles it shouldn't make a difference who is driving or leading. Also there are far fewer entries in these classes so to break it up might make the class too small ( don't know never been to Nat'ls - yet)

I agree with splitting the youth class. It would encourage more people to show.

OK...my husband would never brag about himself, but I will since it is only a week until nationals and this is probably the last time I will get the chance.

He was the 2005 National Champion Amateur Hunter Under with our horse Phantom

and he was the 2005 National Champion Amateur Hunter Over with our horse Magic

AND he was the 2005 Reserve National Champion Amateur Hunter Over with our horse Rumor.

I missed him winning the first one :no: because I watched him jump but then was at the stalls getting the other horses ready when they announced the placings and then when he was 1st and 2nd in the over division too it was crazy because he was already out there getting his picture taken for champion when they announced he was also reserve champion and we didn't know what to do and I ended up running the 2nd horse out there to the center to him and I was wearing sweats and flip flops and had uncombed crazy hair and getting the two horses pictures taken together.
default_wacko.png
:

Hunter and Jumper were my favorite classes last year and he only started doing them because I was fat and pregnant and couldn't run anymore and I wanted the horses to keep jumping and he was immediately better at it than I was and the horses still usually jump better for him than for me. I'm now like the back up quarterback - I only go in and jump a horse here and there if he needs me to for some reason.

I guess they figure if your horse can do the obstacles it shouldn't make a difference who is driving or leading.

I hope no one thinks the handler is unimportant in a performance class. The same could more easily be said for a halter class since the horse is just standing. But as we all know, the handler does effect how the horse shows and presents itself. It is the same for obstacle classes. An obstacle horse cannot do the obstacle by itself (usually). Thus the handler's cues are vital and the handler has an effect on the horse's performance. The horse should respond to body lanuage for a flawless presentation. The more you work with your horse, the more flawless the presentation. In driving, if you are not holding the reins properly your horse may fall out of form. The handler's ability to lead, cue, and drive all effect the horse's presentation in the class just as much as the handler affects a halter horse, if not more so, IMO.
default_smile.png

Two weekends ago I went to an AMAZING driving clinic and whenever the instructor took hold of the reins the horse was transformed. It was amazing. Good reinsmenship should not be underestimated. I'd love to take lessons from that instructor!!! :aktion033:

Has AMHR decided to up the youth age to 18 as well? That would be good!

Latest posts

Back