Show Attire

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
For those if you who show in the AMHA/AMHR circuit, where is a good place online to buy show clothes? I plan to show in amateur halter, multicolor halter, jumper, hunter and obstacle classes so would like to find a couple of outfits I can use for all of them and still be comfortable.

Also what kind of shoes would be best?

Also, for those of you who have long hair (mine is half way down my back) what's the best way to have my hair done for the ring? I was thinking a bun with a cover but have seen people with nice and neat ponytails as well.

In the past, I've found lots of great jackets (even often as part of a skirt suit) on eBay. Really nice designer labels that have been good office attire as well, and big savings over the department stores. I never wore the skirt part at shows, but liked that what I bought was kinda versatile. Paired with black slacks or black jeans to show with a slinky or tank under the jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:
These shirts I really like over at Rod's. They will work great for all, I will even wear one in halter especially if I am just short on time.

http://www.rods.com/rod-s-solid-twill-for-women.html

For shoes I just find some good boots to wear, and when I had long hear I just worn it in a bun.

Again I have too many in too many classes to worry about changing clothes, these work great.

For halter and driving I usually wear a nice blazer type jacket, often left over from when I worked in an office. For pants, either black jeans or dressier black pants. I know lots of people that get their show clothes from Goodwill or other re-cycled clothing stores.

For obstacle and also usually for hunter I will wear a "rail shirt" with the black pants. I get those from Hobby Horse or in person at the MA Equine Affaire.

For hunter I MAY wear a hunt seat outfit, depending on how competitive I want to be. Footwear is usually an option so you don't need to wear tall boots with the outfit and my paddock boots are comfortable.

For boots, in showmanship I wear either western boots (mine are ropers) or my tall English boots. For other classes, I wear the Ariat causal boots that are super comfortable. At my age, comfort comes first.

Make sure your hair is up and out of the way of your number, which you will attach to a number holder (I like the ones with silver conchos on them). I always use a show bow to tuck my long hair into. If dressing in English attire, don't forget the hair net.

Disclaimer: I never have and never will be showing at the National Level, but these work at local shows.

Latest posts

Back