Question about buckets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
While I have not "seen" him play with his water bucket, my yearling colt must be bored and play with/spill his water bucket, which makes a mess in his stall. It is attached onto the wall with a hook and needs to be cleaned daily since he also drinks with food in his mouth and backwashes...lol
default_rolleyes.gif
, so it has to be attached so it can be taken off and cleaned easily. But, I am looking for different ways to safely attach it so he can't tip it and spill his water! Any suggestions?

Also, he has a ball in his stall and a "homemade" toy from a plastic container with rocks in it, so he does have things to play with in his stall. He gets short turn outs and gets worked about 4 times a week, but I'm sure that he is bored since he is a yearling boy! After this next show, he will have more time outside to just be a "horse", but for now...I need to figurre out how to keep him from making a huge water mess!
default_unsure.png

You could always attach a holder in the shape of a U to the wall so the bucket just hangs there by the lip and you can easily lift it up and out for easy cleaning. Thats the design I plan on using in my new barn when we get it built.
aktion033.gif

default_new_rofl.gif
OMG! I have so been there. Duckie used to love to stand in her feed bucket up there. That way she could see out of her stall. Replaced a few buckets. She would also remove it from the wall figure that one out. It was unsnapped not broken. Then Koda decided he had to keep his feet clean so would wash them in the water bucket. Felt like I just couldn't win.

Ariel had a short door that was put on for me. In one day she unlatched it three times and took herself out back. Another person up there put her back in not knowing how it was even happening. Then slammed the big door closed and gave her a real good talking to. But then shes the one that can remove an unlocked padlock with her lips and nose here at home. :arg! Gates are chained and snapped here now.

The only thing I can think of is to get a strap and stetch it from hook to hook half way down the bucket. I do wish you luck with this one but keep in mind "Never a dull moment." A short bungee with the plastic ends would work great and couldn't hurt him if he decided to play with it. Good luck overcoming this as I know it makes cleaning the stall way worse.

They make folding bucket rings so that the bucket can not be moved or pulled by the horse. He could still over course stick his face in it and make a mess that way but might help to have the bucket not be so movable?

Bucket Holder

I am very fortunate that my stallion does not play (very much!) with his water bucket. It's just hung by a strap. I think the more I try to make it less of toy, the more he will leave it alone. I think if I added more "fun stuff" to that bucket he'd play with it!

Fill his stall with toys! I have a loose jolly ball, a jolly ball on a rope, bottles with rocks in them on a rope, a hanging Pony Pop holder, and then any other random toys that come around like soccer balls or whatever. Everyone tells me he plays with them constantly even when I'm not there.

Andrea

I have one of those too, but that is about the worst thing he does, so I can't complain. I considered the bucket holder, but before I tried that I got a big horse bucket with a "v" shape in the handle. This fits very nicely in the "V" of the metal holder (mine happens to go over the stall wall) that has a metal ring above it to keep the bucket from being flipped out. THEN, I put the bucket in the corner of the stall, against the wall, so it is very hard to move.

Now, his feed bucket is another story!! I give a bedtime snack so must leave it in the stall overnight. I attach that one with a bucket holder strap, and let him play with it to his heart's content. The bucket itself is pretty bent but still works. He loves to flip the bucket onto his back for some reason. He also has a milk jug with stones in it, and the baby monitor lets me know he plays with that too.

I would try the rings that hold the buckets, but for the horses that like to play in water you will still have a mess.

A word of warning though...I had my paint mare rip her nostril playing in her bucket, the handle part with the rubber tips that connect to the bucket,(shaped like a u-best I can describe it?) well there is usually a bit of a gap between them she got her nostril between that gap and then ripped it...OMG it looked awful but healed rather well. To this day she still plays in water though!
default_yes.gif

I don't like using buckets as I have seen too many injuries from using them. I use the sheep size water troughs in my paddocks and I found a smaller one I use in the barn. I can move it around and dump it even if it has water in it. I have gone to shows, filled it up and not had to fill it again through the show weekend.

A word of warning though...I had my paint mare rip her nostril playing in her bucket, the handle part with the rubber tips that connect to the bucket,(shaped like a u-best I can describe it?) well there is usually a bit of a gap between them she got her nostril between that gap and then ripped it...OMG it looked awful but healed rather well. To this day she still plays in water though!
default_yes.gif
I put some duct tape around those little hook parts even those with rubber coating

I have 20 gallon rubber water tubs in my horses pens. I have one mare that gets a mean streak and picks it up in her teeth and dumps it. If I yell at her she shakes it before she puts it down. She has now taught my stud how to dump the water. I am changing to a 1/2 of a plastic 50 gallon drum in hopes Ellie can not pick up the thin plastic.

Thanks for all your suggestions and I love that bucket holder! I guess horses are like kids...leave them alone for a second and they will get into trouble....LOL!
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png

Gonna try to prop the bucket in the corner at least temporarily and see if that helps. If not, will be ordering that holder.

Mare has to play with her feed bucket with her back feet. She will stand in it, put one foot in and move it about come to find out its a trait in her.. Her mother did it and her son does it too. Would esp. do it near feeding time.

AB would pick his hang over bucket up and let it slam back against the gate. He would keep doing this until you collected buckets for feeding. If you did a quick scoop and pour method he would chew the sides of his bucket.

I am guessing the louder the sound the faster we will move.

Have a straight egyptian mare that will poop in her water bucket! I found out if I just let the poopy water sit for a day 1/2 (sounds cruel) she will not poop in it. This happens every time she comes in. So we just let her thirst and think...ohhh crap...I better not crap in that.

Carla and spike who says *thou shalt not poo where I eat my foo*

Latest posts

Back