Question about antibiotic for mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsehug

Reaction score
I have a little mare who has had 5 foals. Her first and third she had normally and full gestation (for her).

Her second foal was slightly early and a bad dystocia.

At any rate her last 2 she had too early, one at 9 months and one at 7 months gestation.

I think I remember someone on the forum putting a mare who foaled too soon on antibotics at some point and having good luck with that. But how early would you start them on it? She is getting close to 5 months gestation now.

Oh and my vet told me she is not a candidate for regumate. He told me that was for mares that lost them earlier than she does.

Thanks,

Susan O.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI SUsan-

I don't have any info for you on the antibiotics, but I know there will be those who can definately advise. I guess my question is if it is possible she has abortions due to rhino or ??? Does she get rhino shots at all?

Good luck to you and hope she goes full term. Maybe after she foals she would benefit from being flushed?

Nope I am quite sure it is not rhino. I would think my other mares and herd would get it if it were rhino. I stopped giving rhino years ago after having friends' mares abort right after the shot and after one of my mares had a bad reaction to a shot one time.

Also one year after a little mare aborted I did let my vet send it off to be checked and it was not rhino.

I know there are people on both sides of the fence on this and am not trying to get into that argument. Also she has been flushed after two of her deliveries.

But thanks for your suggestions!

Susan O.

SMZ's AND Regumate are given together to mares who have ascending placentitis, which helps keep the infection in check and allows the foal to mature enough to survive after foaling. SMZ's will not help with anything but a bacterial infection.

Many horse breeders, both full size and miniature horses, would keep your mare on Regumate throughout their pregnancies as an insurance policy to have them maintain their pregnancy. Miniatures use so little of the drug that it is cost effective. They can be safely on it through foaling, though most people start when they are in a safe zone and starting to bag up. I have know people that keep them on it throughout.

TMZ are usually started if they are starting to bag early, or showing signs of loosing it (some have colic like symptoms, but are actually starting to abort). Some would do a course of antibiotics when they are two weeks from when they aborted the last earliest time, also as an insurance policy.

Good luck with what ever you choose. Sometimes they just are not meant to happen, but if you can get a live, healthy foal out that would be even better.

A mare with a history like that here would be on Regumate and a 10 day course of SMZ and the SMZ would be repeated every 60 days unless I saw signs of early bagging then the SMZ would be more frequent or through foaling. If early bagging were evident I would add Banamine for 3-4 days, probably increase the Regumate dosage.

Good luck with her.

Charlotte

Agree with the above to use both Regumate and SMZ's. I've started mares on Regumate several months into pregnancy to help them carry to term. Keep them on it until they foal.

Thanks Charlotte and Becky.

I'll cal my vet tomorrow and see if I can get her started.

Susan O.

All those treatments are to prevent (or control) placentitis. If there is no placentitis, the antibiotics and regumate are just throwing money down the drain and helping to create antibiotic resistance. Placentitis can be diagnosed both pre and post-foaling, and is usually very evident. Do not just put your mare on antibiotics just because.

Nathan,

Describe to me how placentitis is diagnosed, so I'll have a better idea what you mean.

Susan O.

Nathan, you are quite right, but, like I said, here a miniature mare with a history like that would go on Regumate and SMZs. Yes, I could spend a fortune in vet bills and diagnostics and if the situation were dire the mare might abort before the exam could be done. For me, it isn't worth taking the chance. Too many times I've struggled with a mare through a traumatic abortion and seen that lovely foal lying cold and dead on the floor. Our veterinarians here are familiar with us and our herd and never hesitate to give me the needed medications if I feel that I need them.

Only one time here has a mare with a history like has been described in this thread not carried to term on this protocol and that was because I put off starting the meds. It was my fault and the foal was dead and the mare had to suffer because she couldn't deliver a dead foal.

To each his own, but experience has shown me "Better safe than sorry".

Charlotte

Hi Susan!

I would listen to Becky & Charlotte
default_yes.gif

Good luck with your mare!

Latest posts

Back