Question about AMHA registering...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lori W

Reaction score
Long story short, a friend bought an AMHA registered mare with a 2011 foal at her side. The foal is by an AMHA registered stallion. Both sire and dam are PQ'd according to their registration papers, but a breeding certificate was not sent in last year. The stallion was sold at an Amish auction this year. What complicates this is that the stallion wasn't in that previous registered owner's possession at the time of the breeding, so asking that previous owner to send in a late certificate wouldn't be appropriate. Apparently, he sold or brokered him to the Amish for auction and the stallion's registration paperwork was not brought up to date until purchased this year by the current owner.

I told my friend I'd check with folks on this forum before she calls the AMHA office with this question: Can the foal be registered with AMHA without a breeding certificate on file if the foal is DNA'd to prove it's the offspring of the mare and stallion?

The short answer is no, the foal cannot be registered without the stallion certificate.

You can try contacting the last recorded owner of the stallion and see if they will do a stallion report (obviously you would pay all expenses and maybe a little "boot" for their trouble.)

That is the only way you can register the foal.

How is the person listed as the stallion owner going to know what mares that stallion bred if they didnt have him any more? I would hesitate to sign anything when I was no longer the owner of a horse and had no idea what may have occured. Then after all that, how would you know, until DNA was done, that that stallion really did sire the foal? If they were not responsible enough to do paperwork, I would not want to take anything at face value.

This is another great example, discussed in the other thread on here, about irresposible breeders and folks just looking to make a buck- and then some unsuspecting person who snaps up a 'good deal', only to find out it was not so good after all.

Unless all paperwork is done, the foal cannot be registered. But again, if I sold a horse and had no idea what had occured with that animal after it was removed from my farm, I would not be putting my name on paperwork that could possibly be an untruth- as that now puts me in the hotseat stating that I know that stallion bred that mare and that truly is the offspring.
default_sad.png

Anyway you can track down who actually had possession of them and see if something can be done?

Latest posts

Back