Quest is Good Too Good

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
I had a 3 year old Gelding Miniature Horse.

Dewormed December 17, 2005, and Colic within 24 hours,

Called Vet, yes had colic, needled and given peppermint liquid to clean him out.

Temperature 105. Grinding Teeth.

Vet Called Quest, and said this was normal in the horse that has small strongyle,

which imbed into the lining of the intestines, not just stays in the stomach.

Kills all worms not just some.

Two days later called Vet back cannot walk. Really stiff in legs.

But still eating and pooping.

More shots and giving electrolytes.

Boxing day abscess bursts in the chest.

Because of hurting himself when colic.

Vet again, not concerned not life threatening.

3 days later

DOWN and before Vet could get to him DIED IN OUR ARMS

Quest is paying for postmortem and wants the results !!!!!

Vet in Guelph University Ontario.

RESULTS !!!!! Colic and Trauma contributed to death.

Waiting for Quest to get back to me!!!!!!!!!!!

First time using Quest in our de worming program and

Quest admits 3 times the amount can overdose horses.

He was not overdosed and NOT full of worms.

Lock on Syringes have been changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
IT has been said over and over and over again on here never to use quest on minis.

Sorry about your loss.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your horse.
default_sad.png

I had heard the "rumors" of Quest being dangerous for miniature horses, ponies, and foals, almost immediately when it was released (this forum is a wealth of information and we hear things quickly here) so I have never used it on my horses, not even my full-size horses. Something that dangerous and deadly...
default_sad.png
I'm sorry that you had to find out the hard way. I think that company needs to make it VERY CLEAR how deadly their product really is. Please keep us updated on the necropsy results would you? And again, my condolences.

I am so, so sorry for your loss... PLEASE go to the FDA website - there is an Adverse Reaction form that you can download - PLEASE fill out the form and file it with the FDA. Again, I am so sorry...

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/

Liz R.

"Quest

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/ade_cum.htm

FDA Wesbiste - Moxidectin Adverse Reactions

Click on any of those years, or the cumulative report, and it will bring up a list of drug names. Quest is moxidectin. There are many, many more reported adverse reactions to this drug than all other dewormers combined.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/920.htm

FDA - Freedom of Information Summary - Moxidectin

This is the NADA - new animal drug application - information for Quest. Notice in the safety data (end of the document) that only dosages up to 3x regular were tested in adult horses. The safety margin for Quest is estimated to be no higher than 5x the recommended dose while it is 10 to 20x the usual dose, or higher (with ivermectin, it's 30x), for the other dewormers.

Even more to the point though, since no one is very likely to administer 3 to 5 times the recommended dose anyway, is the high number of adverse reactions reported year after year. They can't be explained by overdosing, since a single tube of Quest doesn't contain enough drug to overdose a full-size horse.

If the horse is healthy, has been regularly dewormed and has tolerated Quest in the past without a problem, risk of adverse reaction should be low. However, though, because of the much higher number of adverse reaction reports, it's not on my list of choices for dewormers."

I am very sorry for this tragic loss. You have my deepest sympathy. Most folks here at least, know that Quest shoudl not be used for minis. I hope you get your answers.

I am so sorry for your loss. No matter how or why our guys pass, it's always devastating. I sold my paso fino mare a couple of years ago and the people used Quest to worm her. She went ballistic and I do mean ballistic that they couldn't even handle her, had to drug her and promptly brought her back said she was crazy. This horse was and is very calm, not a mean bone in her body, raised her from a baby to three years old until they took her (didn't pay me yet so no harm no foul there) anyway when she came back to us she was ballistic, wouldn't let her buddy come even close to her. But within a couple of weeks she was back to normal her same old docile self, the only thing out of the ordinary was the wormer. Unless she just didn't like the people :eek: and wanted to come home. Just on the basis of that I have never and will never use Quest. Sorry you lost your baby and hope Quest makes good to you, not that that will help but maybe put some answers to questions you have. Prayers and hugs to you from NC.

[SIZE=14pt]So very sorry for your loss.... In Canada they may not know that Quest cant be used on minis.... I think that we have posted this several times here but if you dont frequent the forum at the time the discussions are on you can easily miss it. For the future.... please dont use quest on your minis.[/SIZE]

Lyn

This business about Quest being "too good at it's job" is NONSENSE . It is also propaganda. It is NOT the reason Quest is dangerous. Go and read for yourself what all of us have found.

It is dangerous and should not be used in Minis. End of story.

And, by the way, I am one of the people who did use it in Minis and never had an adverse affect.

BUT as with Bute, once you know the truth, and understand the reasons, you don't do it again.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON How to Get Quest to LISTEN:

Please send me any information on other horses that have died or problems with Quest?

Final Diagnosis from your REPORTS:

This is the ONLY way we can make a difference.

Thanks again for your comments.

I am so sorry for your loss.

The makers of Quest when I spoke to a rep felt strongly it isnt a deadly product - that it is a product that should be dosed as directed.

meaning it has very little overdose room and it is very important to know the exact weight of your horses.

They seemed to be a bit flipant and felt it was a owner issue not a product issue
default_unsure.png
:

Just wanted to be clear I dont agree with them.. however I didnt seem to get very far in trying to discuss the issues with minis and ponies.

One more thing to remember is that very few products like de wormer and vaccines are actually tested on minis/small ponies.

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry abt your loss. I know you feel horrible and want to do something abt it. But as to the dangers of Quest being rumors that's just not the case. Over the years there have been numerous people posting abt problems after using it. Every Vet clinic in my hometown tells you not to use Quest on your Minis. The reason it's posted here over and over is because of what happened to your horse.

Again, I am so very sorry.

Debi

HOPE HIS DEATH IS NOT IN VAIN
I am so very sorry for your loss...... And no, his death will not be in vain -- as I am sure you will continue to educate other miniature horse owners, especially new ones, about the danger of Quest or any wormer that contains Moxidectin.

And just for the record, Moxidectin is also supposed to be toxic for dogs......

Reble, please be easy on yourself about this.

MA

Quote from Lisa (RuffnTuff):

They seemed to be a bit flipant and felt it was a owner issue not a product issue"

That aggrivates me because there are cases where it was a VET who wormed the horse and the result was the same! But yet, Ft. Dodge is still not taking full responsibility.

If they really felt that way they would not make one of the most difficult to use syringes with the faultiest doser I have EVER come across!!! The lock does not work, the syringe plunger breaks when you look at it and the first dose out of the tube HAS to be put into your hand as it will not come out at first and then comes in a rush when you shove hard- that is when the lock on the plunger breaks!!!

I think it is about time this product was taken off the market in it's[present form, altogether. It is no longer used for dogs, at least in some states- and that was an "owner issue" too- you had to make sure your dogs did not have heart worm before you wormed them with Moxidectin- so it was your fault if they died!!

I had used Quest one time without any problems occuring. I didn't use it any longer after hearing of the problems others had with it. I would also like to add that I had the exact weight down to the ounce for the horses I used the wormer on. Not everyone has the use of a large scale like I have here. I'm not defending the wormer by any means. They need to make improvements in alot of areas. Their representative at a trade show basically argued with me for an hour as to how miniatures react to their product. They even handed us a flyer sheet stating a big named farm used Quest on every horse,every age and swore up and down no adverse reactions occured. That could be but they left out the part that a field technician and vet were the people testing the product. No mention was made as to what reactions did occur when they over dosed or under dosed. So to me that wasn't a real trial. That was just some farm getting their herd properly wormed for the use of their animals and name.

Just a FYI concerning the Farnam Combo Care Gel. I received the wormer in a combination packet and didn't specifically buy it. If you carefully read the box,actual syringe and inside paper sheet you will see they specifically warn people as to mis-use in miniature horses. They have it listed in 3 seperate areas. I don't know if quest is labeled in the same manner or not. The packaging says for use in horses and ponies six months of age and older. Also says do not use for dogs. So there some companies that are now placing miniature horse specific warnings on their product.

I am so very sorry for your loss. In view of the fact that more than 1 animal has had serious problems or died after being given Quest, I would like to see Quest pulled from the market.Does anyone know of other horses who have died as a result of being given other brands or wormers or is it only a problem with Quest?

So sorry for your loss! I wasn't even going to read this post but...

As a tack shop catering to beginner riders, we won't even carry

the stuff! Since it hit the market we've been hearing horror stories

from our big horse clients. We will not put this product into anyone's

hands.

I'm bumping this up.......

Not to focus on just the one manufacturerer......but perhaps the warning about the ingredient "Moxidectin" could be posted on the HEALTH PAGE???

We need to remember that Quest is not the ONLY wormer available with this active ingredient, it just happens to the be the first.

MA

I'm so sorry for your loss and hope you will share the necropsy results with us when you have them. What caused the abscess in the chest? Is it related to the dewormer?

Yes, the abcess was caused by him throwing himself around and brusing himself internal.

Vet and Us did not notice this, only that he was stiff in walking.

Took a week before it bursted! Vet said just an abcess, syringe with peroxide twice a day.

Not life Threatening!

Two days later died.

Latest posts

Back