Quest is Good Too Good

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry for your lose. I had heard that quest would kill the minis so I never used. I figured it was better safe then sorry. Sorry about your little man, lets us know if you get results out of the quest company.

I am so sorry for the loss of this little animal. This is the Warning that is printed on the Quest packaging. I had to point this out to the workers at my local feed store. They were actually promoting this product to miniature horse owners. It really scared them when I showed them the packaging.

WARNINGS

Extreme caution should be used when administering the product to foals, young and miniature horses, as overdosage may result in serious adverse reactions. Do not use in sick, debilitated, or underweight animals. Do not use in horses or ponies intended for food.

Mary & Glen-- we are so sorry about your gelding. He was a beautiful horse & you were doing so well in the show ring with him.

I was amazed that you got results from Quest re the autopsy.

We have talked a lot at club meetings etc about this product-- if I had known that you didn't know about it I would for sure have told you. the only thing I know to do about is to BOYCOTT it -- DON"T use it EVER.

And, of course talk it up -- but that has been done so much. I tell our Vets that as well-- & they say well, if you feel hat way , of course don't use it but have never had a problem with it..

That is also part of the problem-- the vets provide it. I also believe there is a warning on the label-- but we often don't read all the fine print.

Take care-

Amelia & John

There is NO warning on the packaging in Europe. Vets are all too happy to supply and administer it!!

How horrible! I can just imagine how you feel. We need to lobby so that more research IS done on mini's. They are NOT the same as other horses. Prayers to you and your family.

WARNINGS

Extreme caution should be used when administering the product to foals, young and miniature horses, as overdosage may result in serious adverse reactions. Do not use in sick, debilitated, or underweight animals. Do not use in horses or ponies intended for food.

Just got off the phone with my Vet, and Yes that warning is on there!

OVERDOSAGE may result in serious adverse reactions.

Does not mean DO NOT USE ON MINIATURE HORSES?

BUT PLEASE LET QUEST KNOW HOW USE FEEL ABOUT THEIR PRODUCT.

MY VET JUST CALLED.

Dr. Stephan Jacobs FROM QUEST.

Is having my results FAXED to Him

and YES does want to talk with me.

WILL KNOW MORE NEXT WEEK.

HE HAS GONE TO A CONFERENCE

NEED MORE FEED BACK

They need to know why we as Mini Owners

DO NOT USE THEIR PRODUCT

Last edited by a moderator:
Good...Quest is just a very powerful medicine to remove worms. And like your post is called Quest is good Just Too GOOD for minis as the safety factor just is not there in case of an over does of ANY measure. And most Tapes that measure the wt. of horses is just not accurate enough for use on minis IMO and being off by 25 pounds 75 pounds in the amount is just No Good~! Weighing on a scale is the only true way to get a minis wt. many feed mills have scales and many small animal clinics will have no charge for the use of said animal scale..But guessing and looking and using any other method when using such Products as Quest just is not a good thing to do in est. the minis wt. IMO..

Here's a sentence from the "Quest" site....

It has come to our attention that once again this year, the Internet has been the source of some unfortunate rumors concerning QUEST® Gel.

:new_shocked: RUMORS?????

And there was NO mention of miniature horses. The word "ponies" was used, though.

default_torch.gif
:

MY VET JUST CALLED.

Dr. Stephan Jacobs FROM QUEST.

Is having my results FAXED to Him

and YES does want to talk with me.

WILL KNOW MORE NEXT WEEK.

HE HAS GONE TO A CONFERENCE

NEED MORE FEED BACK

They need to know why we as Mini Owners

DO NOT USE THEIR PRODUCT

Well I think the main reason it has NO Safety margin for any type of error it MUST be given at the correct Dose for the Correct wt. of the animal.. It is a very strong type of dewormer, With not one ounce of margin for weight discrepancies. Non~! As in Ivermectin has a 10 times safety margin.....

Yes, the abcess was caused by him throwing himself around and brusing himself internal.

Vet and Us did not notice this, only that he was stiff in walking.

Took a week before it bursted! Vet said just an abcess, syringe with peroxide twice a day.

Not life Threatening!

Two days later died.
Did the abscess caused from him throwing himself around cause a septic problem in his system which manifested during the week? I'm familiar with seeing hematomas (pockets of serum) from blunt trauma but not an abscess in the "infection" sense of the word. I've also never used peroxide to flush a known abscess site- I was taught to always use betadine solution as it will kill bacteria in the exposed/opened pocket.

Hang in there while you are waiting to hear back from your veterinarian. That would drive me completley bonkers to have to wait knowing the information is on his desk!!
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back