Quarter sheet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be concerned about chafeing putting the sheet under the harness. I would think it would raise the hair up in some places where the sheet was "bound" but not snug like a harness pad under the saddle. Putting a few slits in in to keep it close to the horse is another thing altogether.

While I'm sure things could be different under saddle than under harness, I've never had any issues when using a quarter sheet under saddle, and I use one frequently through the winter months! I tend to have my harness saddle cinched tight enough that slippage wouldn't really be an issue though.

For a spares kit I suppose it would work better that it be able to go over the harness to be easily (and Safely) added after one is tacked up and put to a vehicle, but if I were truly going to be using one on a regular basis, I'd want to use it like I do under saddle, and simply put it on under my harness...that's just my opinion though.

If I were adding slits for terrets and such, I'd probably use an iron on interfacing on the underside of the cooler, THEN cut the slits. That should give the fabric enough sturdiness to resist fraying and pulling.

I would be concerned about chafeing putting the sheet under the harness. I would think it would raise the hair up in some places where the sheet was "bound" but not snug like a harness pad under the saddle. Putting a few slits in in to keep it close to the horse is another thing altogether.

While I'm sure things could be different under saddle than under harness, I've never had any issues when using a quarter sheet under saddle, and I use one frequently through the winter months! I tend to have my harness saddle cinched tight enough that slippage wouldn't really be an issue though.

For a spares kit I suppose it would work better that it be able to go over the harness to be easily (and Safely) added after one is tacked up and put to a vehicle, but if I were truly going to be using one on a regular basis, I'd want to use it like I do under saddle, and simply put it on under my harness...that's just my opinion though.

If I were adding slits for terrets and such, I'd probably use an iron on interfacing on the underside of the cooler, THEN cut the slits. That should give the fabric enough sturdiness to resist fraying and pulling.

That's an interesting idea about the interface around the turrets. Thanks for the suggestion. Also good to know about the minimal slippage underneath the saddle as well.

Where did you purchase yours?

Cindy

That's an interesting idea about the interface around the turrets. Thanks for the suggestion. Also good to know about the minimal slippage underneath the saddle as well.
Where did you purchase yours?

Cindy
Didn't purchase. Just use a piece of polar fleece. Polar fleece doesn't tend to fray, etc. so the binding (if one chose to use it) is really just there for decorative effect, not necessarily to "bind" the fabric edges in the traditional sewing sense;) The riding version I have (purchased from Scneiders) does have the binding (and a tail cord of sorts), and it doesn't seem to chafe either, and if anything was going to cause chafe, it would be the binding. At least with the under harness version, you don't have to worry about adding a under tail cord (if you're using breeching harness) because you've already got quite a bit of harness to help hold it "down" in case of a breeze, etc.

Our horses tend to be well-sprung at the ribs, and therefore we don't tighten the girth as much as I tighten a riding saddle. By "overtightening" the girth on my horses, it allows it to migrate forward and interfere with the elbows of my horses. So we leave it looser so that it stays back. Riding girths aren't as "thick", as they don't have the overgirth on them, and therefore don't seem to gall as easily.

I would also be concerned about a sheet under the breeching, where it is not nearly as tight as a saddle. It might raise the hair up. I was taught to tack up horses by a gentleman that was raised on a QH ranch out west. When we put the saddle pads on the horses, we were taught to put it way up on the horse's neck and slide it down so that all the hair was laying flat. NEVER pull the blanket/pad forward and raise the hair. I use the same practice when harnessing. If I have to adjust a harness forward, I make sure that the hair is laying flat underneath. If, for some reason, I was using a quarter sheet under a harness, I would make sure that the hair is laying flat before harnessing, or the raised hair under the harness is going to chafe. It probably isn't as big of a deal where it might be raised under the sheet but not under the harness.

Again, if it works for Mnmini, that's great, but I write this so that readers understand this when harnessing.

Myrna

Back