Quarter Method for Showmanship

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can find it in the ASPC/AMHR rule book. It is on line and I have no idea why I can't get rid of the "underline."
default_xreiter.gif

Anyone who knows how properly to use the quarter method for showing does it in a manner that is not distracting, just like any other show maneuver.
With mini's, its super easy not to be distracting too. Two steps and I'm on the other side 'set up' - and i have little legs!

To practice the quarter system, i made a 'plus sign' on the ground. I've used lunge lines and lead ropes, but toilet paper has to be my favorite. Big, bold, easy to see. Put your horse right in the middle of the 'plus sign.' Will give you a visual of where the quarters exactly are when you are practicing.

The concept is simple in thought but somewaht harder to execute - you want to be in the 'quarter' touching the judges 'quarter,' but not in their quarter. You don't want to move to the quarter until the judge is FULLY in their new quarter and 'commited' to it. Some judges will hover on the line or back up a step just to throw you off sometimes. Don't fall for it, wait for them to be TOTALLY in the quarter and heading out of it before you move to another quarter.

You will need a friend to help you practice. Have them walk around your horse like a judge would. With my guy, I had my friends clap, whistle, have their cell phone 'go off,' their big cowboy hat 'blow off their head and fly towards my horse' jangle a chain (to simulate chians on boots or something), open a can of soda, scuff their feet REALLY loud, etc while they were walking around my horse. They need to be able to do that in a show ring to really be showmanship 'machines.' Sometimes in a close class I've seen judges shuffle or move a little 'funny' to see who's horse will stand - and my little man hasn't ever disappointed! We practice everything that could go wrong in the showring at home though! The shows are easy days for him
default_yes.gif
Everything from jumping half knocked down jumps to flapping banners - we practice!

Practice looking fluent while you do it too, and look up at the judge. Big cheesy smile, feet pointed squarely towards your horse, hands like your holding a tea tray (made my little cousin hold s stick for the longest time while she practiced showmanship, she's the only one in the 4H ring with square hands!)

Im a showmanship nerd. Love it. Go to shows specifically for it !

Latest posts

Back