PYGMY GOATS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMAMINIS

Reaction score
JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HERE RAISES PYGMY GOATS. WE CURRENTLY HAVE TWO PYGMY WETHERS WHO MY DAUGHTER HAVE SO MUCH FUN WITH AND I WAS THINKING OF GETTING A FEW DOES TO RAISE A FEW OF OUR OWN. I HAVE BEEN DOING ALOT OF READING BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND ALOT OF INFO ON KIDDING. IS THERE ALOT OF PROBLEMS LIKE WITH MINIS WHEN THE BABIES DONT COME OUT IN THE RIGHT POSITION? ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT OR MAYBE YOU KNOW SOME GOOD LINKS THAT I COULD GO TO?HERE ARE SOME PICS OF OUR BOYS. THANKS, CRYSTAL
default_smile.png

37964944311_0_SM.jpg

100_2551.jpg

100_1988.jpg

They are sooo cute! Looks like your kids are enjoying the kidds, lol! :~)

I can't give you any information, I've only had one Pygmy/brush goat. He was the cutest thang I ever seen, and he was led out on a leash. I fell in love with him, brought him home for $35, and sold him for $35 2 weeks later. That goat stunk worse than any skunk I ever smelled, and the smell stayed around the place for 2 months after he was gone! He always tucked his head between his legs and peed on his whiskers. I know not all goats smell so bad, but I don't think I want any any more.

Hope you don't have the same probs. I had.

~Karen

OUR TWO FIXED BOYS DONT SMELL BAD AT ALL AND I THINKS DOES DONT GET THAT BAD ODOR IT IS JUST THE BUCKS. I DONT REALLY WANT A BUCK OF MY OWN I WOULD JUST LIKE TO FIND A BUCK TO BREED MINE TO BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THE SMELL. I HAVE LOOKED AT A FEW THAT STUNK SO BAD I COULD EVEN GET THE SMELL OF THE BARN OFF ME. IT WAS HORRIBLE. I WAS ALSO TOLD IF YOU KEEP THE MALES A FAR DISTANCE FROM THE FEMALES THAT DO LET OF THE MARKING THEIR WISKER? I DONT KNOW HOW TRUE THAT IS? I STILL DONT THINK I WANT A BOY AT MY HOUSE
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Always can have problems but not like minis, can birth usually on their own.

I also have Sabrina due in May got a buck in for just the month of December.

I could not stand the smell of the bucks, but the does no smell. I agree breed out.

Can have 1 to 3 and someone on here has had five.... :eek:

We sell our does for $75.00 and bucks for $50.00 They are just great to watch.

Our Sabrina stays with my minis, she thinks she is a miniature horse. Sabrina is suppose to eat the weeds, but does love the leaves.

[SIZE=14pt]
default_wub.png
:
[/SIZE]Oh I love my pygmy and pygmy cross goats........they are so much fun, and I haven't had a breeding problem yet, and I love getting twins and even triplets.....SOOO SOOOO much fun....They carry for 5 months. I have a nanny due in the next week. I have my own billy, he is really small, and he does smell, but not near as bad as some of the larger ones.
default_yes.gif
:

Have fun with your pygmys, they are the BEST. I have bred pygmys for about 10 years and in all that time I only had one problem with birthing, the doe gave birth to the first baby, the second was stuck big time and we had to have the vet out, but was the one and only time. We only have 4 does and have never owned a buck due to the smell. We always did what we referred to as "rent a buck". Meaning we would find someone who had a buck that we liked and then would keep him with our does for about a month. Pygmys almost always take on the first heat cycle. Also they are usually really obvious when they are about to give birth. We have had from singles to quadruplets born and most of the time our goats have given birth during the day (I think they actually wanted us to be with them).

Good luck and Enjoy!!!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOU REPLIES, WE REALLY ENJOY OUR TWO WEATHERS AND OUR SOON TO BE 4 NEW LITTLE DOES. I COULDNT STAND IT I HAD TO GO LOOK AT THE ONES I CALLED ON AND ENDED UP GETTING 4 OF THEM. THEY ARE SO SWEET. THE SELLER EVEN SAID I CAN RENT A BUCK OF HIS WHEN THE DOES ARE READY WICH IS GREAT BECAUSE I REALLY DIDNT WANT TO KEEP A BOY HERE. THEY WILL BE GETTING ALL OF THEIR SHOTS AND DEHORNING WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO AND WE WILL BE ABLE TO BRING THEM HOME IN SIX WEEKS!! :new_shocked: THE GIRLS ARE SO EXCITED. HERE ARE SOME PICS OF THE LITTLE GIRLS. THERE ARE TWO SETS OF DOES TWINS.

100_2603.jpg

100_2605.jpg

100_2606.jpg

THANKS AGAIN :bgrin

Latest posts

Back