Putting this mare permanent

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which One would you choose

• Total voters

Reble

Reaction score
Did not trim all of her being winter is coming close.

Just wondering what color thanks, Just making sure.

Is she a bay, black or silver?

I never get this right..

April Registry A.jpg

April Registry B.jpg

also mottling around muzzle

April Registry C.jpg

Added pictures of Dam, Grandsire, and Sire on page 2

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks black to me
default_smile.png

She looks black to me
default_smile.png

appreciate your reply Matt73 you and I think the same

hubby thought Bay

but her Grandsire is Silver so just making sure

I do know she has appy characters.. so for sure she would be pintaloosa right?

Will add one more picture to above.

I would go with black. Remeber the registeries don't accept pintaloosa. The best you can do is register her as a black pinto and with the markings put appaloosa charactericts and make sure you have pics of her motteling to show.

My other mare that went permanent last year is

AMHA Buckskin Pintaloosa

Right where it says Color & Markings

AMHR is same mare as: Buckskin Pinto Appaloosa under color.

but thanks for your help appreciate it..

Is this the girl from the pintaloosa thread? I have to go back and check mom and dad's coloring...but as to pintaloosa -- I'd say yes, because she obviously has inherited the appy gene.

Is that silver in her tail?

Yes, this is the Mare I have been wondering bay or black and she has white hairs going through looks tri colored to me.

Personally, I would call her a bay pintaloosa.
default_smile.png
She's very pretty.

She does not look bay at all, to me. She "could" have Sabino roaning going on, which would explain the lighter hairs in her tail & forelock. But, since she is obviously carrying Appy....the varnish gene can cause a lot of roaning as well. Without knowing the colors of her sire & dam, it's hard to say what "base" color she is. She could be Black, Brown, or Smokey Black.

She does not look bay at all, to me. She "could" have Sabino roaning going on, which would explain the lighter hairs in her tail & forelock. But, since she is obviously carrying Appy....the varnish gene can cause a lot of roaning as well. Without knowing the colors of her sire & dam, it's hard to say what "base" color she is. She could be Black, Brown, or Smokey Black.
Hope this helps::

Dam: Black Pintaloosa

Courtney Drinking.jpg

Picture of Grandsire: Pintaloosa

Mares Sire.jpg

Sire: Brown Pinto

Delta squared.jpg

Personally, and I can certainly be all wet here -- I was actually thinking silver black -- she just has that rich chocolate color with the light/silver-white mane and it looks like silver coming in her tail.

I don't know much about silvers -- as I have stayed away from them in my appaloosa breeding (like the grays) so I don't know how silver affects things, so I'm just guessing.

I can't vote, because my choice isn't up there. I don't think bay though and I'm not really leaning to black (unless it's the fading black)

Am I making any sense here??
default_wacko.png

default_sad.png
OK added silver and other please explain why !!!

Hope this helps and hope I can have more votes before sending in her papers

thanks again for helping.

I voted other. She looks very similar to her sire, so I'll say brown pintaloosa.

I have raised and owned plenty of silvers and I dont think she is silver. The dam to me doesnt look black either as there is a hint of brownish at the flanks and underbelly so I am gonna say she is a brown pintaloosa but she could also be a fading black but I really dont seen bay anywhere.. Too bad you just cant color test her and then you would know for sure... :)

I'd say brown because she doesn't have black points like a bay would and she has her dam and sire's color who all look brown because of their points.

Technically brown is a color on a horse that looks black but has brown color around muzzle and flank area so a true brown will have black points like a bay. Since the mare is in a heavy coat and looks to be sunbleached it is hard to tell one way or the other and with the appy gene thrown in there ..well lets just say its a fun guessing game...

I see no appy in either sire or dam.

I agree with Dona and think she is a tobiano and sabino pinto.

The Sabino gene also causes that mottling that you see on the anus and muzzle.

Here is an example of what the sabino gene will do on the muzzle of one of our mares.

Evette Rt Head Web 09.jpg

Looking at the first pictures of the mare, I would have likely said Silver. But, neither the sire or dam are Silver, so this mare cannot be either. Also, neither sire or dam are Bay, so the mare cannot be either. She is obviously Black based. Whatever modifiers she may have (Cream? Appaloosa? Brown?)are definitely affecting her base color. I have seen Appaloosa really distort the base color. Appaloosas are really out of my field, but if I were registering her, I would probably put Brown Pintaloosa.

I think she is a classic Chocolate color, milk chocolate to be exact, same color as that Hershey's Bar i ate last night!

Back